Disabling Caller ID (or Google Voice)

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by davedash » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 pm
I use Google Voice, so I'd like to not publish my caller ID when I call people, since I don't want people calling directly on my sonic line. Anybody have a good work-around?
by davedash » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:24 pm
Apparently the FAQ says I can disable this by emailing Sonic.
by virtualmike » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:30 pm
There may be times when you WANT caller ID to be displayed to the callee, with your Google Voice number.

In those cases, you have two options:

1 - Call your Google Voice number, hit *, enter your PIN, then choose 2 and dial the number you want to call.

2 - While logged into GV, click the call button. Enter the phone number to be called. It will ask you to choose the phone you want to use (e.g., work, home, cell, etc.). When you answer your phone, the call will be put through to the callee.

I rarely have to do this, but when I call someone who won't answer without caller ID, this works well.
by rowanning » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:34 pm
I have Fusion service here in San Francisco.

You can just dial *67 (asterisk - 6 - 7) on a per-call basis, before you dial the number, and that will disable outgoing caller-ID for JUST that call.

Very handy if you don't want to permanently disable caller-ID on your Fusion line.
by virtualmike » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:46 pm
My Fusion line is set for outbound caller ID blocking.

Today I called a business and inquired on some prices. After the rep recorded my questions, he said he'd need to call me back, and asked, "Are you Mike <insert last name here>? That's what caller ID says...."

I confirmed that outbound calls are blocked, so I checked to see who is the carrier for that business. It's Advanced Telcom Group, Inc. (Surprisingly, located in Santa Rosa.)

I'd heard before that some of the smaller CLECs ignore the "Private" indicator in the caller ID packet that is transmitted to them, but this is the first time that I'm aware it happened to me.
by dane » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:36 am
virtualmike wrote:My Fusion line is set for outbound caller ID blocking.

Today I called a business and inquired on some prices. After the rep recorded my questions, he said he'd need to call me back, and asked, "Are you Mike <insert last name here>? That's what caller ID says...."
If it's blocked, it should be blocked. Were you calling a toll-free 800/888/877 number? They always get caller data, as they're the ones paying for the call.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:27 pm
dane wrote:If it's blocked, it should be blocked. Were you calling a toll-free 800/888/877 number? They always get caller data, as they're the ones paying for the call.
Agreed, it should be blocked. Advanced Telcom isn't following the rules.

I was calling a regular number (I'll send it by PM).

Indeed, toll-free numbers always get the caller's number (but not name), as it is sent through a different mechanism.
by dane » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:15 pm
virtualmike wrote:
dane wrote:If it's blocked, it should be blocked. Were you calling a toll-free 800/888/877 number? They always get caller data, as they're the ones paying for the call.
Agreed, it should be blocked. Advanced Telcom isn't following the rules.

I was calling a regular number (I'll send it by PM).

Indeed, toll-free numbers always get the caller's number (but not name), as it is sent through a different mechanism.
Very odd, thanks for the report.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:12 pm
You're welcome!
9 posts Page 1 of 1