FTTN; Voice quality, settings help.

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
by Bill Barrett » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:22 am
Hi all, I have Fttn and a vast majority of our friends complain that our sound quality is really poor. So when I go into edit the settings what can I expect? I'm in the barely technically adept senior, age 69, class. I don't want to screw up the settings and then lose my phone service because of something I did. Our phone is a Panasonic 6.0 Plus with 2 extra portable handsets.
Should I just jump in with both feet, my normal way, or is there anything specific I should look out for.

My friends on the receiving end of the calls and I appreciate any help or input.

Bill
by Guest » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:33 am
We have not been told our voice quality dropped after our migration a little less than a year ago. People from Sonic have written here that if too many phones are attached quality may be affected. Do you really have just one phone connected? Some people have complained about issues only to find a forgotten phone. Sometimes old batteries on cordless phones will cause problems. Newer Panasonics don't have custom batteries, so maybe you could try using a known good set of regular batteries.

If you confirmed to have one phone, maybe try changing your Network Settings > SIP > Codec Preference from No to Yes, reboot the ATA (dial ***999 from a handset), and try again.
by billb » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:22 pm
OK tomorrow when no one is home except me, I'll play with some settings. I did notice today looking around that I do not have Accession enabled. I'lll try that 1st.
Yes, only 1 phone. I took out my old rotary dial that I saved for when the power went out when I switched to FTTN.
by Guest » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:56 pm
billb wrote:OK tomorrow when no one is home except me, I'll play with some settings. I did notice today looking around that I do not have Accession enabled. I'lll try that 1st.
Yes, only 1 phone. I took out my old rotary dial that I saved for when the power went out when I switched to FTTN.
Accession only allows you to use computers to make/receive calls as your home phone. You may want to ensure your inside wires are isolated from your MPOE. Hopefully this is the case and it's easy to correct.
by Guest » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:52 am
OK changed the Codec and rebooted the ATA . When my wife gets home she can call an expanded list of friends and ask about phone quality. My one call resulted in a clear, no voice in a tunnel call, I don't know why but... it's magic too me.
by Guest » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:30 pm
Guest wrote:OK changed the Codec and rebooted the ATA . When my wife gets home she can call an expanded list of friends and ask about phone quality. My one call resulted in a clear, no voice in a tunnel call, I don't know why but... it's magic too me.
If it works, it's not magic. The default codec requires more bits to send your conversation through the phone system. Same analogy as reducing qualify of a lossy picture format like JPEG. Depending on what your bandwidth is, using more bits to send phone conversations could affect your internet experience when the two are used together.
by Bill » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:22 pm
Well after a few days we are still getting voice quality complaints. Only 1 phone hooked up and two wireless handsets. I'll keep searching for a solution.
by Guest » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:26 pm
Bill wrote:Well after a few days we are still getting voice quality complaints. Only 1 phone hooked up and two wireless handsets. I'll keep searching for a solution.
Call Sonic support for help. Go to https://www.sonic.com/support_cba_request to see if there is a large queue in front of you. If so, request a call back instead of calling.
by billb@sonic.net » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:12 pm
Well off to buy a new set of phones tomorrow. Nothing works, every call results in people complaining about voice quality or dropped calls. Following that it will be ATT landline and Comcast. Resetting the modem again after this is posted. Like I said in a different post it's just a phone it should work. Very frustrated.
by billb@sonic.net » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:35 pm
AT&T will be here tomorrow, 3-10-16, in the AM I'll let you know how it goes.
Bill
16 posts Page 1 of 2