Number port process

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by wa2ibm » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:57 pm
I recently had a phone number ported from a VoIP provider over to one of my Fusion lines. The port happened on schedule without any problems. Inbound calls now ring on my Fusion pair and outbound calls from the Fusion line have the proper CallerID when received. All very good.

The VoIP phone continued to work for outbound calls, showing the old phone number on the CallerID.

I waited a day then called the VoIP provider to cancel service. When I mentioned that the number had already been ported to another carrier, she said I shouldn't cancel today but rather wait for it to cancel itself as part of the port process. She said if it was cancelled today, it could interfere with the port and I might lose the phone number. I should call back in a few days to see if the account shows being cancelled.

Could I really lose the number if I don't follow "the process" properly? I would think that once the number is assigned to Sonic that the prior carrier couldn't do anything to change that. I guess the number porting process is a mash of different databases that all have to sync up?

Maybe they just want me to run into the next billing cycle (in 3 days) so they can get more $$$$. Hmmm.
by dane » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:37 pm
Generally with a port-out, allowing the process to complete is a good guide line. If you process a cancellation that collides with the port out, it would seem they should have a process to handle this gracefully, but maybe they do not.

If they bill you for days beyond the port-out, you should dispute that, unless they've got terms that bind you to a month's notice for cancellation or something.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:44 pm
wa2ibm wrote:Maybe they just want me to run into the next billing cycle (in 3 days) so they can get more $$$$. Hmmm.
I can't answer the question about the porting process, since I haven't been involved in that for a long time. However, from the billing perspective, I can suggest that since you know the date (and perhaps the time) the port took effect, if your carrier bills past that time and otherwise prorates service (e.g., the contract doesn't state full months or a specific time commitment), dispute it. Ask the carrier to prove it was providing inbound and outbound calling service after the date of the port.
by dane » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:46 pm
...and pack up and ship them their CPE, if they own it too. If they do not, unplug it, and don't make any outbound calls on it, else they have provided some service.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1