Access voice mail from home phone without passcode

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by paulgreen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:55 am
I've just started using the voicemail service, and really like it. Once question: when I dial *99 to accesses voicemail from my home phone, I have to enter my pass code. Wishing to be more 'efficient' (i.e. lazy), I'd prefer fewer key strokes and avoid entering the code when checking voicemail from my home phone. Is there any way of doing that yet maintaining the code when dialing in from another line?

Thanks,

Paul
by dane » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:35 am
My phone has a voicemail soft key when there are messages waiting, and then I pressed tithe first time it walked me through setting voicemail dial-in numbers. I set mine to *99PP1234, for example, where "P" is a pause.

I still have to press one for the first message, so thinking of adding another pause or two and "1" to play new.

Mine is a Panasonic DECT cordless system, which I really am impressed with.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by paulgreen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:54 am
Ah ha ... that would work. I didn't even thing about being able to put a pause in. I, too, have a Panasonic DECT system, which I also really like. BTW, how does the phone 'know' when there is a voice mail waiting at Sonic? I presume there is some generated tone that the phone can detect.
by dane » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:03 am
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by paulgreen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:29 am
Cool, I'm glad to be educated about this (I've used local answering machines for decades so did not know about these features).

Another question is why would I want to generate a 1004 Hz tone? I presume it is for line testing purposes, but as the end user, would I ever need to use it?
by dane » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:44 am
paulgreen wrote:Cool, I'm glad to be educated about this (I've used local answering machines for decades so did not know about these features).

Another question is why would I want to generate a 1004 Hz tone? I presume it is for line testing purposes, but as the end user, would I ever need to use it?
If we expose this to the customer interface, I am not quite sure why we do. It is mostly used to find and identify a line for a field installer.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by paulgreen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:44 pm
the 1004 Hz info is in the Fusion Voice FAQ (https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Fusion_Voice_FAQ)

Star Codes

*67 Caller-ID blocking. Dial this code before your outbound call to disable caller ID for the next call. Please note that there will not be a dial tone after dialing *67; simply continue dialing. You can permanently block Caller-ID, see Voice Options for more information.
*69 Last Call Return. Will immediately dial back the last inbound caller if possible.
*72 Call-Forwarding, see Call Forwarding for more information.
*73 Disable Call-Forwarding.
*82 Disable Caller-ID Blocking. Will unblock outbound Caller-ID on your next call if it is blocked by default. Please note that there will not be a dial tone after dialing *82; simply continue dialing.
*99 accesses voicemail from your phone.
*272 turns on a high-pitched (1004 Hz) tone on your line.
*273 plays a read-back of your caller-ID information.

A quick Wiki edit can take that out : - )
by virtualmike » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:49 am
Most Panasonic phones with a voice mail indicator turn it on/off by periodically going off-hook for a couple of seconds and listening to the dial tone. If the dial tone "stutters," then the phone turns on the message waiting indicator.

Usually, there's a separate setting within the menus to disable the check.
by dane » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:08 pm
virtualmike wrote:Most Panasonic phones with a voice mail indicator turn it on/off by periodically going off-hook for a couple of seconds and listening to the dial tone. If the dial tone "stutters," then the phone turns on the message waiting indicator.

Usually, there's a separate setting within the menus to disable the check.
I haven't seen any sign of that sort of behavior - it seems to use the MWI inband signaling properly, and not go off hook. It's very prompt about setting and re-setting the indicator, which happens when the voicemail system toggles MWI on the CO voice gear.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:10 pm
dane wrote:... it seems to use the MWI inband signaling properly, and not go off hook. It's very prompt about setting and re-setting the indicator, which happens when the voicemail system toggles MWI on the CO voice gear.
Excellent! It sounds like Panasonic has caught up. I've owned three Panasonic cordless sets, and every one of them had the behavior I noted. I eventually got rid of each one because they failed in different ways, typically a month after the warranty expired.

My current AT&T DECT 6.0 cordless set supposedly uses in-band MWI signaling, but since Gvoice provides my voice mail service, I have Sonic.net's turned off.
14 posts Page 1 of 2