voice latency

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by luns » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:04 pm
I've recently ported my voice line from AT&T to Sonic and was wondering about people's experiences with voice latency on Fusion. I'm curious what (if any) targets Sonic may have, or if it's a case of delivering luck of the draw and hoping nobody complains.

I have at home my land line, an OOMA, a Verizon and a Republic Wireless (Sprint) phone, and also a Google Voice number connected to the RW phone. Calls between Verizon and the AT&T land-line were my gold standard, with a one-way latency under 130ms. Other calls between the other pairs of phones are typically at least 230-270ms with another ~130ms penalty any time forwarding through Google Voice is involved.

The land line is of course PSTN/POTS, and my Verizon service seems closely tied into that, while the other numbers are all IP based in one way or another.

I wasn't expecting this when switching to Sonic, but my best-case latency between it and the other phones is now ~230ms. It's basically as though the voice side of Fusion is behaving in line with the other VOIP lines rather than like my old land line.
by mschuman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:19 pm
I have the same concerns. I recently had installed the Sonic Fusion FTTN x2 service, which was actually installed by ATT as FTTH. My ping time to ookla is 3 ms. But an echo test of the voice (voip) line shows about 300 ms. round trip. That's pretty bad. Sonic tech support has told me that they consider that normal and acceptable. It's slow enough that it's probably going to drive me back to a POTS line.... Anyone have any info on this? It seems like it *ought* to be possible to do better than that.
2 posts Page 1 of 1