Fusion Mobile App

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
76 posts Page 1 of 8
by kgc » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:09 pm
Support for the Fusion mobile app on is being discontinued on Jan 2nd, 2015.  The app is only used by a small group of users and has several usability issues and known bugs. In addition, given our plans to migrate away from our existing voice platform, it does not make sense for us to invest the time to improve the quality of the app to acceptable levels.

Customers using the app to listen to voicemail should either use the built in support for voicemail via email or dial into the voicemail system using their mobile phone. All of the settings can be toggled using the membertools and/or directly from the fusion voice line.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by dane » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:27 pm
Considering we've long had requests for expanded Android support, and instead we're going the other direction and withdrawing the iOS app, I'd like to say a little more on this topic.

Today we have a buggy iOS app, and a tiny number of members using it: 100 members, who primarily use it to access voicemail, with a total of just 50 voicemail playbacks daily. We could invest to fix the app, and also could port to Android, but we would end up with an app that basically does two things: line settings and voicemail playback.

Both of these functions are available from mobile devices using other methods; Member Tools for line settings, and for voicemail playback, IVR at 707-583-7700, Member Tools playback and IMAP email access.

Additionally, as we deploy Fiber and IPBB/FTTN connected customers with VOIP CPE, these will be in the newer MetaSwitch voice platform, meaning the current app won't work for them. And, the MetaSwitch has a superior app today, which supports both iOS and Android.

So, the best course is to cease supporting our old in-house app, and work toward eventual uniform app support on MetaSwitch. Full uniform integration will require migration of Fusion customers to MetaSwitch, and that's likely some time away, but planning for that outcome and terminating the current broken app is the right step at this point.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:24 pm
That's too bad since I'm one of the 100 users. I use the app to access voicemail via wifi using a GUI rather than dialing in and dealing with a clunky audio UI. I've had no complaints with the version I use on my iOS 7 device though I have had lots of problems with the latest version on my iOS 8 device.
by Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:28 pm
Guest wrote:That's too bad since I'm one of the 100 users. I use the app to access voicemail via wifi using a GUI rather than dialing in and dealing with a clunky audio UI. I've had no complaints with the version I use on my iOS 7 device though I have had lots of problems with the latest version on my iOS 8 device.
After writing my previous post, I just clicked on the "Playback" link in Dane's post. I had no idea that there was a web interface to voicemail. I guess that's a reasonable replacement for the app and it's OS agnostic which is even better.
by dane » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:49 pm
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:That's too bad since I'm one of the 100 users. I use the app to access voicemail via wifi using a GUI rather than dialing in and dealing with a clunky audio UI. I've had no complaints with the version I use on my iOS 7 device though I have had lots of problems with the latest version on my iOS 8 device.
After writing my previous post, I just clicked on the "Playback" link in Dane's post. I had no idea that there was a web interface to voicemail. I guess that's a reasonable replacement for the app and it's OS agnostic which is even better.
There is email access too, in the "Voicemail" folder. That's even easier from most smartphones.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tikvah » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:33 pm
Count me in as another one of your 100 users. I find the app frustrating (it only needs a couple of tweaks, like bigger buttons to push) but extraordinarily useful. Having to call a number to hear my voice mail is really not okay with me. That method takes a very long time and doesn't tell you who just called your home phone while you were out, which is the whole point.

Using a browser is not a solution because that's about 10 steps instead of one or two. Not to mention having to remember the location and my password.

Getting emails of the messages is fine at home and I already do that. But I only get a few selected emails on my cell phone and I don't want to clutter things up. Plus I'd have to check email just to see if I had a message. Right now I don't have to check anything; it's right there on my opening screen: Fusion call from so and so.

That's what I want, an app to tell me on my cell phone that a particular person just called my home phone. And the ability to hear the message. I'm really shocked to hear other people don't want the same thing. I wonder how you even know how many people use it? From past downloads? From who logs in? Maybe a lot of people use the app for the push notifications but don't actually log into the app.

As for the new tech, what you're basically saying is:
You don't need the app because the new app will be much better.
You can get the new app when you get fiber.
You will never get fiber because your area isn't a priority for us.
So now you get no apps.

I urge you to reconsider. Is it really that hard to maintain a simple little app?

Cyndi
by tikvah » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:38 pm
I should add that what does it matter that there are few people listening to voicemails? I use this app every day even though I rarely listen to voicemail or even open the app. It tells me if someone called my house. That is vitally important to me. It tells me who called. Even better. That's the info I need. Not the voicemail itself, though sometimes I need that too, especially if I'm out of town.
by kgc » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:30 pm
Cyndi, you can setup SMS notifications for new voicemail messages in the member tools.
Kelsey Cummings
by tikvah » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:15 am
kgc wrote:Cyndi, you can setup SMS notifications for new voicemail messages in the member tools.
Nope, not an option. Though if I could get text messages that allowed me to listen to the voice mail and all came from the same place (so they had their own message folder) that would be acceptable to me. Especially if the from address was something real (like "Sonic Fusion", as opposed to 3 random digits like T-Mobile does).

From https://members.sonic.net/voice/settings/707*******

Voice Options for 707-***-****

Send calls to Voicemail: After 4 Rings

Voicemail Delivery Options
Disable Call Waiting
Enable Caller ID Blocking
Anonymous Call Rejection
Enable Spam Call Blocking Powered by Nomorobo
Disable International 011+ Dialing
Enable Call Forwarding

Mobile Devices Help
Device Last access
Cyndi's iPhone (iPhone) 2014-11-21 18:56:35
by kgc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:29 am
Take a look under the voicemail delivery options.
Kelsey Cummings
76 posts Page 1 of 8