Porting cell # over, without losing cell access

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by brianbehlendorf » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:11 am
Now that Voice services are looking solid and sexy, I'd like to move the same phone # I've had for 10 years from my cell phone (on Verizon) to Sonic.net Voice. The main reason for this is that I travel out of the country the majority of the time and today I can't check my voice mail messages until I return from a trip, and I'd like to go virtual (and Verizon doesn't provide that) and I don't want to give in to Google Voice (they have enough data on me already, thx). Assuming I move my current cell number over to Voice, and assuming I roll over to a new phone number on my cell, is there a way for Sonic.net voice mail to pick up if my cell can't be rolled over to? Or is this hopelessly complicating things?

Brian
by virtualmike » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 am
Not quite sure what you're asking at the end, but yes, you can port your cell # to Sonic.net. Make sure you make arrangements with Verizon not to close your account. As far as voice mail, if you're asking whether calls to your VZW phone can go to Sonic.net voicemail, the answer is yes, it is possible, but you'd need to work with VZW to get busy/no answer forwarding changed to go to the Sonic.net line. Realize that your calls will ring on the cell, then on the Fusion line, before going to voice mail.
The main reason for this is that I travel out of the country the majority of the time and today I can't check my voice mail messages until I return from a trip...
Assuming you have access to phones while overseas, you should be able to check your cell voice mail from any phone. Dial your cell #; when voice mail answers, press "#" and enter your passcode when prompted. From that point, it should be the same as when checking directly from the phone.

Note the "#" works for VZW. Sprint requires a "*".
by thulsa_doom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:26 pm
virtualmike wrote:Not quite sure what you're asking at the end, but yes, you can port your cell # to Sonic.net.
We're not porting cell numbers over to our landline service at present.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by virtualmike » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:32 pm
thulsa_doom wrote:We're not porting cell numbers over to our landline service at present.
D'oh! I stand corrected. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that was the case.

Thanks for catching that!
by wa2ibm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:53 pm
It's been pointed out before that you could port your cell number over to a cheap VoIP carrier, working with your cell carrier to get a new number for your cell phone. Then, after that is complete, port your VoIP number (your old cell number) over to Sonic.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
5 posts Page 1 of 1