City and County of San Francisco 311 Service

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by dmarzane » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:16 pm
San Francisco has "311 service" to connect residents with a City and County call center to report various City issues. Currently, we I dial this number from my home phone I get a "foxtrot 612" recording and then dial tone. Tech Support says Sonic.net voice service does not offer 311 functionality. Why?
by zbarr » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:32 pm
You can still reach 311 functionality by dialing 415-701-2311.

-From 311 faq...

"Why can't I get through when I dial 3-1-1?"

Dialing 311 will work from most San Francisco 415 landlines and cell phones; however, you may experience problems for the following reasons:

You are calling from a high-rise, multi-tenant building. In those cases, the Building Manager or your Private Branch Exchange (PBX) vendor has to manually program 311 into the building's local telephone system and he/she has not yet done so. Please contact the Building Manager or PBX vendor and ask for the programming to be done
You are calling from a wireless carrier other than Sprint, Nextel, MetroPCS, AT&T/Cingular and Verizon. You may wish to call your service provider to request for this service to be added by your carrier.
You are calling from your San Francisco 415 wireless phone but are outside your "roaming" area.
You are calling from a Voice over IP carrier other than Comcast DVC and Vonage. Agreements have not been made with other companies as of this time although it is something that we are hoping to obtain in the near future.
Until your problem is resolved, you may reach us by dialing 415-701-2311.
by dmarzane » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:50 pm
Well, I am not calling from any of the described "problem" areas. I am calling from my single family residence, for a phone number that was formerly a landline from PacBell, A.T.&T. etc and now Sonic.net. I don't know if "zbarr" is a Sonic.net employee or just someone trying to help out. In either case the information is incorrect.
by paulbarwick » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:27 pm
dmarzane is right. Its no longer working, I just tried it and got the same "foxtrot" recording. I'm pretty sure that this used to work, it seems to me that I've called 311 many times from my Sonic.net line.

Can someone please check and see what happened and get it working again please?
by Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:39 pm
Here is the latest from Sonic.net support. "As far as I can tell, Fusion has never supported 311. From what I was able to glean, it is not something we plan to offer. I looked through our technical pages and talk to some senior staff and there is no indication it ever was a feature. Perhaps the forum user was talking about an AT&T line they had that we were doing DSL over? There is a full 7 digit number that will take you to the same tree as 311: (415) 701-2311."

As 511 and 611 appears to work on Fusion, it seems that 311 would be a natural. I think the "Big Guns" at Sonic Net should add this to the feature list!
by dane » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:14 am
Thanks for the report! We'll look into this.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kgc » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:57 pm
We now support 3-1-1 services for all communities known to provide 3-1-1 services in our coverage area.
For more information see https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/3-1-1
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by dmarzane » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:33 pm
Thank you.
by jmunowitch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:50 pm
Thank you!
by kgc » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:15 pm
You guys are all welcome. (You can't get this with AT&T's U-Verse!)
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
11 posts Page 1 of 2