No Phone Service Anymore When Plugged Into Wall Jacks

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by jerryandjennylim » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:51 am
Since I signed up for Sonic phone/internet 6 years ago, I've always had the ATA plugged into the wall jack in the bedroom and allows me to utilize a phone plugged in the kitchen as well as my alarm system (which utilizes a phone line).

But my internet went down recently and Sonic dispatched an AT&T technician to troubleshoot.

While they did get the internet back up and running, for some reason my phone no longer works when the ATA is plugged into the wall jack (works fine directly plugged in).

Any tips on what might have happened or how to fix this?
by ngufra » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:54 am
All the sockets in the house are connected in parallel and to the consumer box outside your house where the phone company wire arrived.
Open the box and check they did not change anything there.

Is your alarm system using an RG-31x to give your alarm system priority over the other home phones? If your ATA is connected to one of the plugs downstream of it, it may not work the way you would expect.
by jerryandjennylim » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:20 am
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if the alarm system is taking precedence as I am not familiar with the telephone wiring. I am not sure what the AT&T tech did to get the internet back up and running but everything had been the phone lines had been running flawlessly for 6 years right until yesterday.
by ngufra » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:06 am
You will need to track your wiring. Follow the wires from the box outside your house (small box, typically gray) where the phone line arrives from phone company. If using fiber and not DSL, you can unplug all wires coming from phone company there.
You may need to go to the basement and follow the wires.
Google RG-31x to understand how it works and why you need one.

Another solution is to use a cordless phone system. plug it into the ATA and install and handset and charger in the kitchen.
It won't help for the alarm system though.

You can upgrade your alarm system to a system that is monitored though internet instead of phone lines. it is slightly more expensive than phone line monitoring but offers more notifications. Alarm-relay charges $9 per month for phone, $14 for internet.

One final option if you don't want to work on the wires is to use another ATA just for the alarm system. if you only need to call out, you don't need a number. Future nine has rates as low as 0.9 c per minute.
by jerryandjennylim » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:10 am
Thanks again for your reply, ngufra. I live in a townhome so that will complicate things... I really would like to have it set back up the way it was...
5 posts Page 1 of 1