Cause of no inbound calls?

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by dwolff100 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:30 am
For the past four days or so, I've been unable to reliably receive inbound calls on my Sonic landline. To Sonic's credit, sonicstatus.com has included pretty regular updates for this issue since 2022-03-04 in the post "Calls not completing to Sonic" at https://sonicstatus.com/2022/03/04/call ... -to-sonic/ (last update 2022-03-07 10am as of now).

Question is: does anyone know the cause? I ask because I am curious to estimate the likelihood of future such prolonged inconsistencies, in order to plan accordingly.

(I tried researching similar past issues by searching the history on sonicstatus.com, and found prior posts indicating previous short-term voice connectivity and DDOS issues, but cannot immediately find prior examples of such a long-duration voice problem--e.g., less than 90% reliable uptime over 30d.)

Basically, is an underlying carrier (such as AT&T) unable to quickly resolve a network issue (understaffed, etc.)? Or, are landlines under some form of DDOS/similar attack? Or, something else?

Thanks for any insights. I love Sonic. The cause of this uncharacteristic issue would just be great to understand slightly better, if possible.
by susanjom » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:21 pm
I agree. I think I should know more about the situation than this:

Update: 10:00am 3/7/2022 We are still seeing instability with inbound calls to the Sonic network at this time. We are working with our carriers to resolve the issue.

Update: 7:00pm 3/6/22 We have been working with the underlying carrier to repair the issue.

Update: 6:15am 3/6/22 We are still working with our underlying carriers to get this resolved.

Update: 2:11pm – 3/5/22 We are still seeing some inbound calls unable to complete. We are working with our underline carriers to resolve this issue.

Update: 8:19am – 3/5/22 – an intermediate carrier on the call path towards Sonic has routed around the issue. Repeated testing and monitoring by Sonic over the last hour has yielded continuously successful calls. We believe this is now resolved. Please contact us you believe to be still affected.

Update 1:14pm – One of our underlying carriers has identified a widespread network issue, we are working with them to resolve the problem as soon as possible.

We are currently investigating an inbound to Sonic calling issue, from various carriers. Will update with further information.
by amayfield » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:20 am
Late Thursday night, March 3rd, Sonic began experiencing an issue with inbound calls originating from off our network.

The issue existed upstream of Sonic, which means we didn't have visibility into the system that was having the issue, we could only see and identify the symptoms our network was experiencing and report them to our upstream carriers. Ultimately the cause of the issue was due to human error - our upstream carrier misconfigured a routing change.

We're adjusting our training, internal documentation, and points of contact with our upstream carriers in order to facilitate an improved turnaround on reporting and resolving these kinds of issues to minimize impact to customers moving forward.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1