Busy Signal when making outgoing call

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by kori.kody » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:32 am
When I try to make an outgoing call I get a busy signal. Incoming calls are OK. When dialing out I get a dialtone, dial the number then maybe 20 seconds of noises like the number dialed is being sent, then busy signal.

My analog phone is plugged into the Adtran 411 voice port, no digital filter as installer didn't provide, and as I recall said the Adtran 411 voice port is for analog phones and we just plug the analog phone in, that's it.

I've rebooted the Adtran 411 and no change.

I need the phone service now, and would appreciate help getting it up and running for outgoing calls.
by ngufra » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:30 am
Does internet work?
What are the lights on the Adtran?
Try calling 611 (sonic)
Try rebooting the ONT.
Can you receive calls? (call your number from another phone)
When you have all the facts call sonic and if needed they will send someone. Installer should have tested before leaving
by jerrielm » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:30 am
kori.kody wrote:When I try to make an outgoing call I get a busy signal. Incoming calls are OK. When dialing out I get a dialtone, dial the number then maybe 20 seconds of noises like the number dialed is being sent, then busy signal.

My analog phone is plugged into the Adtran 411 voice port, no digital filter as installer didn't provide, and as I recall said the Adtran 411 voice port is for analog phones and we just plug the analog phone in, that's it.

I've rebooted the Adtran 411 and no change.

I need the phone service now, and would appreciate help getting it up and running for outgoing calls.
Hello!

Thanks for reaching out! I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your phone service. I have looked over your account and it seems that everything is working on our side. Have you tried any of the following.

1) Test with a different phone ?
2) Test with a different phone cable ?

Let us know if this makes a difference! Also make sure the existing phone cable is plugged in properly!

Best Wishes!
by kori.kody » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:13 am
Yes, I tried using a different phone last night after re-booting the Adtran II, no change. I tried again this morning hoping that something magic would happen. No change with original POTS wire on either phone. However, changing the POTS wire today had no effect on the intended phone, but I successfully made an outgoing call with the alternate phone.

After the successful call on the alternate phone I connected the intended phone and busy signal again.

Putting the old wire back on and the alternate phone I got noise on the line instead of dial tone. Tossed that POTS wire out.

Putting the "new" wire back alternate phone works, intended phone doesn't - gets busy signal.

The "new" wire was an old wire I had around. Is it likely I just need to replace the POTS wire with an actually fresh new POTS wire? I'll try that as it's an easy option. However, it makes me wonder to what extent the intended phone would be undependable. (Also how dependable a "good" phone like the alternate phone would be on the system.)
by ngufra » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:04 pm
Phone cables terminated with RJ-11 are pretty dumb and boring.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack#RJ11

Make sure the contacts are clean on the ONT and on the cable.

Find a wire that works and it should keep working.
by kori.kody » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:45 pm
True they are pretty basic. That said, I had one wire that worked and one wire didn't. I swapped them back and forth and that didn't change. So I don't think it was the ONT contacts.

The bad one I tossed was +/- 30 years old. Could have had cracks from thermal cycling even in-doors as it passes near a floor vent, could have corrosion at the old RJ-11 wire contacts, or the RJ-11 contacts might have lost their "spring" and be gapping to the ONT contacts. Whatever, it was clearly not as good.

As one phone works, I expect the Busy Signal issue will turn out to be something gone bad with the +/- 30 year old phone.

To that end, I've ordered another phone same model as the one that works.
6 posts Page 1 of 1