RE: CPUC Meeting Sept 23, 2021 10 am, ATT to dump POTS "copperwire" service

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by danzingbus » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 pm
I just learned that ATT has applied to the CPUC and FCC to transfer their residential POTS landline to Frontier, which has a bad reputation for maintenance and financial irregularities. The CPUC has a hearing on the topic at 10 am, September 23, 2021.

ATT was required to notify their customers about their plan, but I've received no notice from either ATT or Sonic.

Many POTS users have a preference for the quality and reliability and simplicity of POTS. Some people have a medical need for POTS, including an increasing number who have EMF sensitivities or disabilities that require POTS.

How is Sonic handling this issue for their customers? Are they aware of the potential problems with Frontier?

If ATT was required to notify customers, why haven't Sonic's POTS customers received a notice about this? Is there any information on Sonic's website concerning the proposed change? What is Sonic's position on the proposal, and have they contacted the CPUC or the FCC on behalf of their customers?

Amy
by dane » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:30 pm
I reviewed the agenda of the CPUC public meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, and didn’t see an item there on this topic. Have you got a link to this item?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by danzingbus » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:38 pm
Thanks for your reply, Dane. I appreciate your checking into the CPUC's agenda on short notice. Perhaps the topic was rescheduled.

Below is the information I saw from a NextDoor post yesterday. It does reference AT&T's application number.

Thanks for looking into this.

Amy

1) CPUC Meeting Thursday, September 23, 2021 - 10am Toll Free Call-in Number: (800) 857-1917 Passcode (English): 9899501#

and

2) If you did not receive the required notices from AT&T about the plan to discontinue landline service, let the CPUC know.
If you want to be specific about the relevant AT&T application, please reference AT&T application # A.21-05-007.
If you have technical difficulties calling in, email VotingMeetingHelp@cpuc.ca.gov or call (415) 703-5263
To view the webcast of the meeting without speaking, go to: http://www.adminmonitor.com/ca/cpuc
It will also be recorded and archived for future viewing.
by dane » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:58 pm
Seems to just be ending their resale service in Frontier areas — when AT&T today resells Frontier service, those customers would become direct Frontier customers.

Not at all relevant to areas where AT&T itself is the carrier, nor to Sonic or any of our customers.
Facing consumer advocate concerns in California, AT&T said Wednesday it will delay migrating residential landline customers to Frontier Communications in areas of the state where AT&T currently resells Frontier's ILEC service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1