SHAKEN/STIR questions

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by nhbriggs » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:20 pm
Still looking for answers to these questions (now updated for tense, since SHAKEN/STIR should be online):

(1) Is it Sonic's implementation of SHAKEN/STIR that applies to Sonic managed landlines (on AT&T copper), or is that AT&T's responsibility?
(2) How does the SHAKEN/STIR status show up in the Caller Id?
(3) What use can customers make of the SHAKEN/STIR status (e.g., reject unverified calls? send unverified calls to voicemail? and so on)
(4) How does the Sonic SHAKEN/STIR implementation deal with international origin calls?
(5) Where should we be looking for this information other than in a customer forum?
by amayfield » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:49 pm
We're in adherence with SHAKEN/STIR on our voice service across all offerings. In regards to your other questions, I don't know of any plans to implement that kind of functionality.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by nhbriggs » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:40 pm
We're in adherence with SHAKEN/STIR on our voice service across all offerings.
So what does "in adherence" actually mean? Can you point me to the document(s) that define what such adherence means? I assume Sonic signs all calls it originates? Do you verify all incoming calls? What do you do (even if you don't pass it on in the call information to me...) when an incoming call isn't verifiable?

On my iPhone (on the T-Mobile network), they pass the status on in such a way that the incoming call log shows a "check-mark" if the caller information was correctly signed.
by amayfield » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:59 pm
You can read more about the regulation on the FCC's website - https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication. Being in adherence means we have taken steps to ensure robocalls aren't being generated from our network. Identifying whether or not an inbound call from another carrier is in adherence isn't part of the regulation so that isn't something we've implemented, though we could do so at some point.
Andrew M.
Sonic
by nhbriggs » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:41 am
So what you're telling me is that SHAKEN/STIR, as you've currently implemented it, does NOTHING to reduce the volume of faked number calls that we receive.

If every telco implemented exactly the minimum that Sonic has done... there would be absolutely NO change for anyone.

As it stands, the only benefit is that my outgoing calls may be properly signed, so that telcos who *do* check won't flag them as bogus to their customers.
by amayfield » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:47 am
Yeah, that's the way the regulation is structured - we've done what it mandates. And you are correct it's unlikely to mitigate much inbound SPAM, at least until all carriers are in adherence.
Andrew M.
Sonic
by dane » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:13 pm
Until it's fully deployed, we can't reject any calls due to them not being signed. We must wait until every carrier has deployed signing for outbound calls. If we blocked all un-signed calls today it'd be most of the voice traffic.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nhbriggs » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:15 am
@Dane -- While you're in compliance with the call authentication part of the regulations (as most US carriers should be, since it's past the June 30 deadline), and I'm not suggesting that you automatically block unauthenticated calls, I would very much like you to aim to fulfill the promise of the TRACED Act (which is that I should be able to rely on the caller ID) by making the attestation status available to me, in the caller id (say, always include a yes/no indicator) and in the call detail information in the billing.

Other telcos already offer hints (such as tagging the call as "scam likely" in the caller id), and allowing user-specified actions based on the attestation status (such as: send to voicemail without ringing).
by dane » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:31 pm
I certainly understand the goal here. I think the challenge is that virtually every call into our network comes via legacy TDM routes, which have zero capability of passing this info to us anyway! So while shaken/stir is a critical concept to stem robocalling at the source, legacy voice networks just don't allow for seamless use of that information.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nhbriggs » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:17 am
OK, throw us a bone here... since every call seems to contain *some* caller ID information, spoofed or not, let us whitelist the numbers we want to have ring the phone and send all the others to directly to voice mail.
14 posts Page 1 of 2