SHAKEN/STIR questions

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
14 posts Page 2 of 2
by dane » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:23 am
nhbriggs wrote:OK, throw us a bone here... since every call seems to contain *some* caller ID information, spoofed or not, let us whitelist the numbers we want to have ring the phone and send all the others to directly to voice mail.
That isn't a capability that exists across our voice platform today, and because it relies on vendor support, it's not something we can just build entirely internally either.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nhbriggs » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:45 pm
The FCC has said that "providers using older forms of network technology [must] either upgrade their networks to IP or actively work to develop a caller ID authentication solution that is operational on non-IP networks."

I don't know what the deadline is for that, though. I hope that Sonic has a plan.

Yesterday, 28 Sept 2021, was the day after which phone companies must block traffic from other "voice service providers that have neither certified to implementation of STIR/SHAKEN caller ID authentication standards nor filed a detailed robocall mitigation plan with the FCC." FCC News release
by ewilen » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:13 am
nhbriggs wrote:Yesterday, 28 Sept 2021, was the day after which phone companies must block traffic from other "voice service providers that have neither certified to implementation of STIR/SHAKEN caller ID authentication standards nor filed a detailed robocall mitigation plan with the FCC." FCC News release
Thanks for linking that. In spite of the deadline, I’m still getting scam calls on my home phone that are supposedly from my area code. It’s hard to believe that the scammers are using real phone numbers for this. So how are they able to get spoofed calls through, assuming Sonic has taken the above action? Or is there still a loophole in “filed a detailed mitigation plan”?
by digitalbitstream » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:26 am
Why can't I flag an inbound spam call on Sonic, with a *77 code or whatever?

All the cell phone platforms let me report, in real time, an inbound spam call or spam text.
Blocking is useless of course, as the spammer will be back with a new number.
But real time reporting can be weaponized.

For fun in a revenge sort of way, see:
Pranks Destroy Scam Callers - by Mark Rober. Real time video of a scam call center in operation and under attack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLJZyih3Ac

14 posts Page 2 of 2