Sonic's SHAKEN/STIR deployment to fight robocalls?

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by ybfpfm » Thu May 20, 2021 2:37 pm
https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

Will Sonic be doing this or some third party?

I looked in the FCC Robocall Mitigation Database https://fccprod.servicenowservices.com/ ... d_listings and Sonic doesn't seem to be there.

The reason I ask is that we have been getting calls from individuals who have been getting robocalls that have spoofed our telephone number for their caller ID.

Glenn
by virtualmike » Thu May 20, 2021 9:44 pm
June 30 is the deadline to apply. Google isn't listed, either, and Google is a big player for STIR/SHAKEN.
by bobrk » Sun May 23, 2021 10:04 am
My Sonic land line (VOIP over ATT Fiber) is useless. Constant junk calls, not even worth having the ringer on anymore. I have a device and a share of bandwidth that goes to nothing but scam calls. I know that the problem is very difficult but It seems like Sonic as a carrier could lean on their regulators to get something done.
by tony.b » Tue May 25, 2021 10:05 am
Hi there Glenn,
I wanted to reach out and thank you for your post around the ongoing issues with Robocalls and the Shaken/STIR programs. To confirm, we are currently working on implementing the Shaken/Stir programs on all of our circuits before the June 30th deadline and that is why we are not on the list you posted yet.
I apologize that you are experiencing these spoofed calls so regularly, and I hope that these programs help in some way relieve that.
Thank you again for the post, and please reach out if there are any further questions that I can try and help with!
Tony Sonic Supervisor
by nhbriggs » Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 am
(1) Will it be Sonic's implementation of SHAKEN/STIR that applies to Sonic managed landlines (on AT&T copper), or is that AT&T's responsibility?
(2) How will the SHAKEN/STIR status show up in the Caller Id?
(3) What use will customers be able to make of the SHAKEN/STIR status (e.g., reject unverified calls? send unverified calls to voicemail? and so on)
(4) How will the Sonic SHAKEN/STIR implementation deal with international origin calls?
(5) Where should we be looking for this information other than in a customer forum?
by dane » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:48 pm
Like all carriers, Sonic will be SHAKEN/STIR compliant. But this really protects others from us being a source of robocalls, which isn't an issue here.

It remains to be seen if the rogue carriers that today are the predominant source of robocalls can be brought into compliance and if the result is the end of automated telemarketing spam. That's certainly the FCC's hope, and ours too.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cmeisel » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:21 pm
I have another VoiP provider, which I keep because I was an early tester and their pro account with two numbers is free for life for people who were early testers many, many years ago. I do like my Sonic VoiP and I use the communicator app heavily on my phone and also on my Mac desktop. The free international calls to so many destinations is impossible for anybody to beat.
And I get very few spam calls so this is not a major issue for me, yet. But, I do like what this other provider offers to their customers to manage their own and community-created block lists and I feel Sonic should maybe consider this.
This provider allows you to block by name (example, I got many calls with the ID San Francisc) so I can block San Francis, I get many calls that start like my number (415-280 so I blocked all calls from 415-280*). You can block numbers, names, partical numbers, use community lists, etc.
And, what I like even more, you can decide what happens when they get blocked. You can make it ring forever on their end (not yours, play "The number you are trying to reach has been discounted or is no longer in service", sent them to voicemail, etc.
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 2.13.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 2.13.59 PM.png (252.22 KiB) Viewed 36373 times
7 posts Page 1 of 1