New Sonic customer - Porting questions

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by brad.evans » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:33 am
At the moment I’m temporarily living in two homes. Home1 currently has AT&T DSL and phone service with a phone number I’ve had for a couple of decades.

Home2 has Sonic fiber which I’ve had for almost a month. I’m very happy with the service - both speed and reliability. It has an Adtran ONT with RJ-11 phone jack which I assume I can plug an analog phone into and immediately begin using.

I’d like to port my old phone number at Home1 to Sonic at Home2. And once that’s done, terminate AT&T phone service at Home1 (while still keeping and using their DSL service).

Both locations have the same 650 area code. After the port to Sonic at Home2, and before terminating phone service at Home1, will AT&T assign a new phone number?

Before starting that process are there any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks for any information!
by syntaxsid1 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:56 am
Hello,

We are pleased that you are satisfied with your service with us at Home2. Porting a number is a simple request. Call our support team @ 1.855.394.0100 and we'll get you started with that request right away. Moving a telephone number over from AT&T takes about 7-10 business days. We make the request for the number and AT&T typically takes about that long to complete that. In the interim you would leave your phone connected to AT&T's service and keep your service active until that number move is complete. Once your number move is done, AT&T will assign a new random phone number to you there. Once the move has been completed, you can then cancel the AT&T Service. You would then remove your telephone from the wall jack and plug that into the ONT from us. I hope this information clarifies this process for you. If you have any questions at all or would like more detail, our support staff is available 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm. Have a great day!

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by brad.evans » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:44 am
Thanks a lot for helping with my questions, Jeff, - appreciate it!

One more... It appears Sonic for the time being has assigned a telephone number as part of my service.

Until the port is completed, I assume I can plug a phone into the ONT and can start using it right now? In other words, I don't have to enable it or call Sonic, and it doesn't incur an extra monthly charge when I start using it?

Thanks again!
by brad.evans » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:28 pm
I plugged a phone in and it seems to work (using the Sonic-supplied number for now).

I do notice that I don't get a dial tone immediately when taking the handset off-hook. Rather, it's 10 pulsed dial tones which then becomes a steady dial tone, ready for making a call.

Is that normal? Can that be changed to a steady dial tone as soon as the handset is lifted?
by ngufra » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:41 pm
The "pulsed dial tone" may be an indication that you have voice mail waiting.
by brad.evans » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:51 pm
I just checked and that's exactly what it was. Thanx for the heads-up! Everything is now working as expected.
6 posts Page 1 of 1