ATA reboot after power outage

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
17 posts Page 2 of 2
by apl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm
I think it has always worked when only the router is rebooted (or when only the ATA is rebooted).
The failure case is when both lose power simultaneously, and the ATA reboots before the router.
by klui » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:53 pm
Not true based on my experience roughly 3 months ago. From first page of this thread under my name.
(resold ATT fiber). Modem got a FW update and the modem rebooted. ATA was still on. I had forgotten about the update and went to bed and forgot to reboot the ATA. When I woke up 7-8 hours later the ATA was still unregistered. A manual reboot using ***999 got it registered again.
by apl » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:37 pm
This problem is definitely still not fixed.

Last night my gateway got a firmware update (version 2.11.5) pushed from AT&T. And, sure enough, today my phones weren't working until I manually power cycled the ATA, which I discovered after they failed to ring for an incoming call.

So: still stuck paying $6.50/month to rent a ($30 retail) device with old, buggy firmware. And based on comments from a sonic employee in another thread, no one there has any intention of fixing it.
by klui » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:40 pm
I've posted elsewhere but it has been fixed for me. Two days ago I had to reboot the RG and I had done nothing to the ATA. I think it was less than 15 minutes but the ATA reconnected automatically.
by apl » Mon May 17, 2021 9:52 am
Another firmware update to the ATT/Arris gateway, and once again phone is not working several hours later until I manually power cycle the Sonic-branded Grandstream ATA.

At this point should I just assume that Sonic has no intention of ever fixing this issue?
by klui » Thu May 27, 2021 3:36 pm
You should open a service ticket with Sonic support. Our ATA reconnected fine after the RG FW update 6.5 days ago.
by apl » Sun May 30, 2021 3:42 pm
No point opening a support ticket because I would just get another unit with the same issue.

I'm about 90% sure that I know exactly why I get this behavior on a firmware update, and some other people don't:
The problem occurs when both devices are power cycled at the same time, and the ATA boots before the Arris router. This is what many people reported last summer, when there were lots of power outages.
So why does mine also see it when the router's firmware is updated? Because I have been using the router's auxiliary USB port to power the ATA, causing it to lose power at the same time, and triggering the bug.

In fact, I am more like 99% sure, because I just tested this as follows:
- Reboot only the ATA. Dial tone is restored in about 1 minute.
- Reboot only the router (with ATA plugged in separately to wall power). Internet is restored in a little over 2 minutes, and dial tone follows immediately.
- Reboot both devices together (with ATA getting power from router). Internet is restored in a little over 2 minutes, as before, but phone still does not have dial tone after several minutes (and based on past experience, will not after several hours), until I reboot it again.

So the lesson is that I can avoid having this problem triggered by the router firmware update if I switch back to using the wall wart for ATA power (which is not ideal given the limited number of outlets on my UPS).
But it will still crop up for many people when they have power outages, which seems likely to happen again this summer, and it would still be better if Sonic and the device manufacturer could address the underlying bug.
17 posts Page 2 of 2

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 999 on Mon May 10, 2021 1:02 am

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests