Petitioning to drop voice bundling

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
27 posts Page 2 of 3
by benderguy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:54 am
I have no use for the phone service bundled with my (fully fiber) internet service, but seemingly have no way to unbundle it. This month I was charged almost $15 in fees/taxes, almost all of which have the word "voice" on them. Presumably these would go away if I did not have a phone service bundled with my internet service.

@Dane said "federal regulations require delivery of voice telephone service when using a copper loop. And we'd like to keep all of the product configurations identical, and as simple as possible." Obviously there is no "copper" for those of us that have fiber services. Is the idea that in some places Sonic does offer copper based services over which phone is inherently delivered, and that it consolidates corporate billing/infrastructure to automatically include that service with fiber as well?

I can see how that might streamline the business, however the impact to customers is a lot more cost for something probably the vast majority of us don't use. $40 for internet, plus $10 for voice, plus $10+ for voice fees means that our bills would shrink by over a third if we didn't have bundled voice. That's quite meaningful to us, and I'm sure we'd all rather see an increase of $5 a month more for internet services if necessary than pay an extra $20+ for it with an unused bundled phone service. Surely a slightly higher rate for unbundled services seems fair, and a standard business practice as well.

I'd love to see the percentage of people with fiber service who actually use the bundled phone service. In any case, it would be better for many/most of us if we didn't have it bundled.
by nandosf » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:49 am
I also received my first full month of service bill and was completely surprised to find the additional fees associated with the voice bundle.

First, I can't even install a phone line to use. I live in a multi-unit dwelling in SF. The point of entry to connect the phone is 2 floors down where other communication lines to the building are located. I'm paying an addition $15 per month for something I can't even have access.

I support separating voice bundling. It would have been cheaper to add unlimited data to my mobile service.
by pockyken007 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:41 pm
I find it amusing that all the complains come form people with only 1 post ever made ... that aside if you think that 80$ for a 1gig symmetrical fiber line + everything else that comes with the service is too much you are delusional ... oh snap I am paying extra 15$ I won't be able to get that one extra soy gluten free stirred not shaked latte boo hoo , when you actually learn the actual value of the service that sonic delivers and the price they charge for it VS what it actually should cost you will realize you have one of the best services in the country ...
by medina4470 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:14 pm
Looks like voice service is becoming optional here in Oakland, CA for native fiber. We have a pre-order in. I also posted this on DSLReports.

Attachments

by virtualmike » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:49 pm
nandosf wrote:First, I can't even install a phone line to use. I live in a multi-unit dwelling in SF. The point of entry to connect the phone is 2 floors down where other communication lines to the building are located.
If you're on Sonic Fusion, you can just plug a phone into the "phone" side of the DSL splitter plugged into the phone jack in your unit.

If you're on Sonic Fiber, then you would plug the phone into the RJ-11 jack on the fiber ONT in your unit.

If you're on Sonic IPBB, then Sonic would have sent you an Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA), which gets plugged into your router, and your phone gets plugged into it.

In any case, you should not need to get service from the MPOE (the point in the building where the external wires connect to the internal wires in the building).
by digitalbitstream » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:15 am
dane wrote:IThis is why for example you don't see us offering our own fiber at three different speeds like most ISPs
Correct me if I'm wrong, but sonic is offering fiber at TWO different speeds, right?
by ngufra » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:28 pm
digitalbitstream wrote:
dane wrote:IThis is why for example you don't see us offering our own fiber at three different speeds like most ISPs
Correct me if I'm wrong, but sonic is offering fiber at TWO different speeds, right?
What Dane meant is Sonic will not throttle just so they change more to not throttle
You get line speed.
They are offering 10Gbps fiber --if available-- at the same price as 1 Gbps from what I understand
by patriciaday » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:13 pm
Looks like they're starting to sell fiber without bundled voice. This is for an address in Santa Rosa.

by julia.harkola » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:22 pm
I've always been unhappy with voice bundling. Don't want it. Don't want to pay for it.

My bill has just increased $11/month after the previous $12/month increase. AT&T is offering 1 gig fiber for a flat $55/month in perpetuity. Sonic service has been great, but not $20/month more great. Time to switch.
by slbiser » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:29 pm
I would also like to drop the unneeded, forced voice service. I called today and was told the plan without voice attached was not available in my area. Huh?
Was also told to apply for the ACP if I needed help covering the cost of my bill, but that was not helpful as someone with no dependents.

I like Sonic. Their service and people. I would Love them (and spread the word) if I wasn't forced to pay for a service I don't want.

Sonic, please, please, please give us the option at ALL locations!
27 posts Page 2 of 3