Can I use my own VOIP adapter with Sonic Fiber Phone service?

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by rtsai » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:25 pm
Is it possible to use my own VOIP adapter in the house with my Sonic Fiber phone service with its features, phone number, etc. (e.g., do not use the phone jack in the Fiber modem)?

My problem is that my house has no telephone jacks, and no telephone wiring to the garage where the Fiber modem is installed. I have no room in the garage to place a base station next to the Fiber modem. Even if I did, I don't think wireless phone service would reach the house.

So I'm thinking of:
  • Plug telephone into separate VOIP adapter
  • Plug VOIP adapter into switch
  • Have telephone use the same internet connection as everything else through the Fiber modem, and not use the phone jack on the Fiber modem.
Would that work? But then I don't know how I'd configure my VOIP adapter to use my Fiber phone service.

Other options I've thought about, but am unsure if they will work:
  • I may be able to dedicate one of my preciously scarce CAT5 home run cables. Would that be a simple matter of getting inexpensive male/female RJ-45/RJ-11 adapters for the Fiber modem phone jack and the old-fashioned phone in the house?
  • I have coax home run wiring that I'm not using. Is there a way to convert that into RJ-11 cables on both ends? I'm aware of MoCA for ethernet, which could then be down-converted to telephone, but I'm wondering if there is a cheaper option just for telephone (MoCA-to-Ethernet adapters are about $100/each, which for this purpose seems too expensive).
Any other suggestions or feedback?

Thank you!
by nwhitehorn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am
A few options:
  • Get support to give you SIP credentials for your phone line and then use any IP phone or an ATA. I think that they won't do this as a matter of policy, but it's worth checking if they will give you the same Grandstream ATA they give to non-FTTH customers, which you can then put wherever inside. This is the best option if they will do it.
  • Use one pair of an in-wall CAT5 for phone service. You can use 2 other pairs for Ethernet, and not sacrifice the whole cable, if you are willing to limit the Ethernet on that particular line to 100 Mbit/s. This is second-best. Everything from here on is a little janky.
  • Use a balun to convert the phone line to run on your coax. You would want one with an F connector on one side and RJ-11 on the other and -- this is important -- DC passthrough. I couldn't turn up one quickly on Google.
  • Just attach one wire to the inside of the coax (no splitters allowed on the line!) and one to the jacket. You probably want to attach the green wire from the phone line to the jacket of the coax cable.
  • Get an analog telephony converter with a phone-in port like a Grandstream HT813 and plug it into the phone jack, then get an IP phone for inside. This feels even more Rube-Goldbergy than the above since you start with VOIP, make it analog for 6 inches, and then have VOIP again.
by dane » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 am
We'd generally suggest using one of the Cat-5 runs for voice to get it in to a location where you want the service. We can't support third-party ATAs, the phone service is all integrated with the optical network terminal.

You might also find a DECT wireless phone system plus a signal repeater works pretty well. I use that setup in our home, with Panasonic DECT 6.0+ phones and it's provided good coverage.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:16 pm
Using one of the pairs of your cat 5 for the voice but as has been written above with two pairs you can only get 100baseT.
Use a long range cordless phone like an engenius durafon or freestyle. I have one that gives me 1/2 mile range. Even in a large house with lots of walls it should work fine. We also use a regular uniden 6GHz 2 lines cordless phone with the base connected to the ONT and a bunch of handsets around the house on 3 levels with base in basement and it works fine so you should try that first as it's a lot cheaper than the durafon. On the uniden 2 lines I have one line on sonic the other connected to a linksys pap2 to future nine voip that gives me cheap rates to cells in France. (for Land lines I use sonic as they are included in the price) I set it up when calls to fence were not included and I don't think I would go to 2 lines if I were doing it now.
4 posts Page 1 of 1