Missing important feature to block scam callers

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by mityaha » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:10 am
Sonic.net is missing a very useful feature to block scam callers. I mentioned it to them a few months ago, but they don't care. Currently they support blocking phone numbers that user specified explicitly. But this doesn't help as scammers change numbers all the time. They should also support something opposite - blocking ALL phone numbers EXCEPT those specified by user. I didn't have this problem when I was a Comcast customer. Back then, I spent about an hour and entered phone numbers that I would accept - about 150 total, and I blocked all other incoming calls. Problem solved. Why not support such useful feature? I can't believe it is hard, because it is just opposite of filter that they already support. Frustrating....
by jerrielm » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:36 pm
Hello!

I am sorry for the issues you are having with your phone service. Sadly at this time we are not looking to have such a feature on our phone service. Hopefully one day we will be able to. I would look into phones that have this feature as it might be the work around you are looking for.

Best Wishes!
by ngufra » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:02 am
https://www.amazon.com/iPrivacy-Whiteli ... B0746DC8GM
This device apparently blocks calls in the black list, rings immediately on calls in white list and ask the caller to press 0 for the other calls.
Not very convenient if you have a cordless phone and reviews are not unanimous, but such a device exists.
Would be great to integrate it in the vice service but sonic has other priorities at the moment it seems.
by ndwrmsv2 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:06 pm
I know this sounds like a good idea, but let me tell you why it's not. Let's say your [spouse/son/daughter/parent/sibling/significant other/etc.] gets into a car accident, or gets rushed to a hospital with a heart attack or Covid-19, and they need to reach you from the emergency room. (Or the police try to call you, or a paramedic needs to find out quickly if your relative has any allergies to a lifesaving medicine.) But they can't, because you never thought to whitelist a number you had no prior knowledge you'd ever get a call from. And because of that, your relative has an adverse outcome. (Use your imagination.)

I have this exact situation. As much as I try rejecting calls from numbers I don't recognize, I have a 93 y/o mother in Florida, and if I get *any* incoming from her area code, I gird my loins and answer it. Most of the time I wish I hadn't, but there are those occasions when I really needed to react to that call fast, and having the number blocked would have been catastrophic.

So please, think this one through.

...Neil
by ngufra » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:10 pm
this device does not auto reject. a human will press 0 when asked and get through.
by ndwrmsv2 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:57 pm
Sorry, "ngufra", I was responding to the original poster, who wanted to make call rejection the default decision. That scenario is playing with fire, IMHO.

I can see where you thought I was commenting on your post, immediately ahead of mine. I have no problem with the device you described.
by mityaha » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:54 pm
ndwrmsv2 wrote:I know this sounds like a good idea, but let me tell you why it's not....Neil
Respectfully disagree, it IS a good idea. Landline is being used as a backup communications channel, everyone has cell phones, so in case of emergency one could call lots of mobile numbers of relatives or friends. Also, one can't reply on this phone line as a reliable means of communcations in case of emergency. It is VOIP line that depends on Internet connectivity and electric power, which won't be available. So, mobile phone is much more reliable means of communication in case of illness, accident or natural disaster
by mityaha » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:58 pm
99% of calls are spam / scam, would I want to hear phone ringing and bother using some device to filter it out? We have caller ID and it is quite clear where call comes from. Problem is that their system doesn't suppress such calls on the spot. And we should have ways to reject all calls except ones on our whiltelist.
by mityaha » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:00 pm
Is it possible to remove phone line from your service and not pay for it? As of now I am paying for lame spam phone calls I receive all day long.
by ngufra » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:31 pm
mityaha wrote:Is it possible to remove phone line from your service and not pay for it? As of now I am paying for lame spam phone calls I receive all day long.
No. Sonic sells a package with internet and voice.
You don't have to use it but you can't even return the ATA.
Many people have asked but sonic's position has not changed.
12 posts Page 1 of 2