Diverting late night (spam) calls to Voicemail *without* ringing

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by abaum » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:59 pm
Between election season, and everything else, there are a ton of spam calls getting through nomorobo.
A lot of them are coming in after midnight- 3 or 4 a night.
They ring, wake me up.. and then I can't get back to sleep, or if I do, the next call will interrupt sleep again.
If you are already sleep deprived, this is a health no-no.In my case, a fairly serious health issue.

My cell phone can automatically divert calls between certain hours to voicemail.

Can sonic phone service to that? If not.... why not?
by virtualmike » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:34 pm
Maybe forward your Sonic phone line to your cell phone? *72 to forward, *73 to cancel.
by abaum » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:39 pm
Confession: this was posted on behalf of a relative who is not able to navigate websites

There are numerous workarounds, but there's an additional, rather significant issue here - extreme short term memory loss.
Anything that changes the mode of the system - and has to be undone in the morning - is completely out of scope, because he'll a) have forgotten that he manually changed the mode, and b) may not remember how to revert it.

This applies to things as simple as unplugging the phone (he'll remember how to plug it it, but not remember that he has to).
I believe that forwarding has another issue - it skips the nomorobo filtering,
by virtualmike » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:48 pm
Short of some mnemonic aide to remind him that the phone is forwarded, I'm afraid I don't have any ideas.
by abaum » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:37 pm
Is it possible to turn on forwarding from a desktop computer rather than from the phone?

IF so, I could create a chronjob that would automatic forward in the evening and stop forwarding in the morning.
(even if that means creating a script that effectively logs into his sonic.net account and clicks around somewhere)
by virtualmike » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:01 pm
Yes, it is, but depending whether your relative's service is regular Fusion or Fusion IPBB, the interface can vary (the latter has more features).

After connecting to members.sonic.net, choose "Voice," then select the affected phone number. From that point, the directions differ depending on the type of service. It may involve some screen scraping.
by abaum » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:11 am
I looked. and finally found the option to force call forwarding:

Home
Phone status
(Available for Calls)
Incoming calls will: (Popup)
Ring your account phone
Ring your phones in order
Ring you phone together
Forward to <previously setup forwarding number>

So, if I can set up an Applescript (if they haven't dropped support for it...) that opens a browswer window on members.sonic.net, logs in, selects "voice", then selects <account phone number", then clicks on the "Incoming calls will:" and select the last entry, select "update", then close the browser window, it will forward.
Another script will select the first entry in the dialog box.

Finally, get a chronjob app that will run the first Applescript in the evening, and the second in the morning.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to navigate around webpages and popups with an Applescript, but that might do it.

Thanks for convincing me to look at every single option in the "voice" menu - its hidden fairly deeply, and NOT in the "Home" tab, "Your Services" section, "Call Settings" tab, "Call Forwarding" section, where you would expect it.
7 posts Page 1 of 1