Blocking Numbers

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
143 posts Page 5 of 15
by theyipper » Wed May 16, 2012 1:21 pm
I completely support the idea of having the ability to block calls.
Just received an automated one from 1-877-401-5395 that had no message (this number calls me about once/2 weeks).
by virtualmike » Wed May 16, 2012 2:00 pm
tasinda wrote:One more thing, just now I got another spam call and for the second time today it was only 7 digits: 501 followed by four numbers (apparently I picked up so quickly, my phone didn't retain the info). ... But even if I had the full 7 numbers, I don't know what good it would do to list it on donotcall.gov because there was no area code, only 7. ... This is the second time today someone called with the area code blocked so I can't see it.
While it's possible that someone has misconfigured some equipment, I would wonder if your phone is stripping the area code. I know that both Panasonic and AT&T phones will remove the area code from the display if it's the same as the one programmed into the phone.

My Panasonic phone only displays the seven digits if the call is in the same area code, but I can press the "Edit" button, and it will cycle through different displays: XXX-YYYY, ZZZ-XXX-YYYY, 1-XXX-YYYY, 1-ZZZ-XXX-YYYY.

My AT&T phone does not give me any way to alter the display. If the area code is the same as mine, then it is not displayed.
by chandos » Sun May 20, 2012 9:34 am
When I switched to otherwise-great fusion voice, spam calls went way up. They are now almost intolerable.

Sonic has been claiming that you were "working on" call number blocking for more than a year now. Apparent progress = zero. Can we have some real facts about this process as opposed to vague assurances?

chandos
by ggladsto » Mon May 21, 2012 5:24 pm
We are at wits end with the spam calling. Our cordless home phone system will only block a max of 20 specific numbers based on caller ID. With all slots filled there are still many numbers that repeatedly call us. Even the 20 numbers our phone does block still let the ring got through for a second before the caller ID kicks in and it silences. Server side number blocking would not only be a fantastic addition for existing customers, but also a very attractive feature for potential new ones!
by dane » Mon May 21, 2012 11:15 pm
ggladsto wrote:We are at wits end with the spam calling. Our cordless home phone system will only block a max of 20 specific numbers based on caller ID. With all slots filled there are still many numbers that repeatedly call us. Even the 20 numbers our phone does block still let the ring got through for a second before the caller ID kicks in and it silences. Server side number blocking would not only be a fantastic addition for existing customers, but also a very attractive feature for potential new ones!
You get repeated calls from the same party, even after telling them to put you on their do not call list?

I think because I get few calls, perhaps I'm under-estimating the issue...
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by laine » Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 pm
I get at least 4-5 unwanted calls daily. The do not call list has become a big joke! These telemarketers could care less about the do not call registry. The latest scam is for them to say that they are taking a survey, which is allowed under the Federal do not call rules. After you answer 2 or 3 stupid questions you then get the unwanted sales pitch.
Please develop some kind of call blocking system.........
by dane » Wed May 23, 2012 11:03 pm
Do you ask to be placed on their do-not-call list, and they still call repeatedly afterward?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Thu May 24, 2012 12:50 am
Is it possible that when someone ports service to Fusion, that AT&T reports to the DNC that the number has been been disconnected?

Per http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/04/dncfyi.shtm:
... the Federal Trade Commission will continue to remove telephone numbers that have been disconnected and reassigned to other customers.
When I was ported, I checked several times afterward, and my number stayed on the list. However, AT&T is not known for consistency. When we ported my spouse's cell service from AT&T to Verizon Wireless, the number was removed from the DNC list, and I had to reregister.
by dane » Thu May 24, 2012 9:30 pm
Well, it's possible, but I haven't seen any reports of this. When I ported my own home tel number to Fusion, it remained on the do-not-call list.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Fri May 25, 2012 1:43 am
Mine stayed on the list, too, but I'm not sure it's consistent. I know of a case where someone moved from one residence to another, keeping the same number/service (i.e., it was never actually disconnected), and the number got delisted.
143 posts Page 5 of 15