Global Calling free vs paid rates

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by kisianikdell » Tue May 05, 2020 10:39 pm
Can someone explain exact difference between free calling vs rates.
I tried called Israel landline home phone and I was charged, but it said that typical residential calls should be free of charge?
What am I missing here?

Appreciate in advance for any assistance on that matter.
by ngufra » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:30 am
You should call support (611) they would be the most authoritative answer on your billing question.

Do you know of any difference between the numbers that were charged and those that were not?
Different location/city maybe.
Maybe for some cities sonic cannot get the call router through a free provider and must pass the cost to you. if this is the case i understand you would like to get some clarity on which calls are charged before you make them.
by dane » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:00 pm
To determine the rate for a call, you can input the telephone number into the search tool here: https://www.sonic.com/fusion-global-calling-rates
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by wyoshimura » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:11 pm
What does it mean in the international call rates tool when the rate info displays with a strike through (eg: crossed out). What is the difference between rate info displayed on a green background vs white?
by dane » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:30 pm
wyoshimura wrote:What does it mean in the international call rates tool when the rate info displays with a strike through (eg: crossed out). What is the difference between rate info displayed on a green background vs white?
The green with the rate struck through are free with our Global Calling capability. There are caveats, it is free for typical household use, cannot be resold, used for fax or modem, etc. The rate published but struck out would apply if the usage fell into one of these "abuse" of the free use categories. Some details from the policy:

Terms and Conditions of Global Calling

Sonic’s Global Calling feature is for normal residential use only and can’t be used for commercial or other special purposes. Global Calling is subject to reasonable use parameters as determined by Sonic. Customers are liable for all charges incurred from fraudulent use.

Normal, Reasonable Residential Use

Sonic's residential unlimited voice plan and features are for residential members and are based on usage patterns of the average residential customer.

Impermissible Use

Each of the following is impermissible under Sonic’s residential unlimited voice plan and considered outside of normal residential customer usage:

• Sharing or reselling features
• operating a business, even if operating from the residence
• operating any other enterprise, including not-for-profit or governmental
• operating a call center
• automated dialing
• telemarketing or bulk faxing
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:54 pm
The green with the rate struck through are free with our Global Calling capability. There are caveats, it is free for typical household use, cannot be resold, used for fax or modem, etc. The rate published but struck out would apply if the usage fell into one of these "abuse" of the free use categories.

You list of non permissible usage differs from the policy and bring me to wonder:
  • is the odd fax allowed? (the policy seems to say bulk faxing is not allowed) Does the sonic labs fax work overseas? Never needed to try. Not sure how well faxes would work over voip
  • modem: Sonic has a bank of dialup modems. i guess we are allowed to use it right? My alarm system talks to the monitoring station with a modem. that's allowed too right?
  • "operating a business, even if operating from the residence" is excluded in the policy. What about work from home during covid-19?

I believe "reasonable" use is allowed and in case of excessive use, it is at the discretion of sonic to charge the striked rate.
by dane » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:16 pm
Sonic reserves the right to review excessive use - which is likely in the sort of situations we describe. Clearly, sending a fax isn't an issue, assuming it works - but being on the phone to the UK six hours a day would raise a flag for us.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
7 posts Page 1 of 1