Turning off the modem and preserving the phone

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jonica » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:28 pm
I am a long term Sonic customer. I recently switched to Sonic Fusion.
I have discovered that because my phone is attached to the modem now, if I turn off the modem, my phone will have to be reset by Sonic.
I also noticed that the modem is ATTs.
Is it possible to get a modem that can be temporarily turned off while not taking my phone offline necessitating a phone call to Sonic to have it reset?
I very much want to turn off the modem at night.
Thank you!
Jonica Brooks
by jacob.karinen » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:16 am
Hello Jonica,

The service you're on is our IPBB product and it uses a VOIP phone connection as you pointed out. If you're trying to save power by turning off the modem there isn't really a viable alternative I can offer that will keep your phone up. If you're turning off the equipment because you don't like it broadcasting wifi throughout the night then it may be worthwhile to either setup a wireless router to provide the wifi service and you can setup the modem to be just a gateway. That way you can disconnect the router while still keeping a connection to the voip service. Beyond that there really isn't a way to keep Voice active without asking us to reset the registration if the telephone adapter (ATA) is down for an extended period of time. If you have any questions please let me know.

Best regards,
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by dane » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:27 am
Are you saying it doesn’t all reconnect and work automatically when you power things back on? That should never require a call to support!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1