DTMF, VoIP, ATA - Any help with to ensure my Avaya phone system works with Sonic.

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by TMurdock - Berkeley » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:34 am
I'm not necessarily sure how to name my issue, but it has been going on for too long and the back and forth is exhausting.
The terms I keep hearing is DTMF, VoIP, and ATA. I am just trying to ensure that my Avaya phone system works with Sonic like I was told before I even chose Sonic as my new provider.

I have an Avaya phone system that uses extension lines. I've had a horrible experience trying to figure out this issue. It has been going on for several months and both companies are blaming the other. Before I even chose Sonic, I made sure that this "Analog handoff" would be easy. The tech support individual said it would be easy, "they had worked with Avaya before." No I don't have any techs name to try to reference. I have spoken to over a dozen different techs in the past few months.

Here is the issue:
When someone calls our office, they start to hear the greeting where I list off the extensions. They should be able to hit any of the extensions and the call will automatically transfer, but that doesn't happen. Even my extension does not work, so they literally have to listen to the long greeting AND my personal phone greeting (I've changed this until the issue is resolved, because it is just excessive). I feel like we are in the homestretch of figuring this out, but it has hit yet another wall.

The last helpful thing I was told, was from Avaya. They gave these instructions:
Sonic is bringing your Voice lines via VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol).
Sonic is then “handing off” the voice lines via Analog Trunk Adapter(ATA) to connect to the Avaya phone system via an Analog Trunk.

There should be an adjustment in the ATA they can make to fix the problem with the DTMF tones.

Below is the adjustments that need to be made on a Cisco ATA as an example (not sure what Sonic is using for the ATA)
Set DTMF Settings after Provisioning is disabled
1. Select Line1 from the Menu on the left.
2. Scroll down to Audio Configuration Section.
3. Set DTMF Process INFO to YES.
4. Set DTMF Process AVT to YES.
5. Set DTMF Tx Method to AUTO.
6. Set DTMF Tx Mode to Normal.
I am really hoping to solve this soon and wish that Sonic had better advice than to post on a forum. Please, if any tech or supervisor can help, I am really being "dragged through the dirt" on this issue. Thank you in advance.
by stmarksberkeley » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:48 am
I'm not sure how to label my issue. The terms above is what I keep hearing, but so far no one has been able to help.
Any advice would be appreciated. I have spent so much time and money on this switch, I hate to add more by getting a new phone system or provider.

I have an Avaya phone system that uses extension lines. I've had a horrible experience trying to figure out this issue. It has been going on for several months and both companies are blaming the other. Before I even chose Sonic, I made sure that this "Analog handoff" would be easy. The tech support individual said it would be easy, "they had worked with Avaya before." No I don't have any techs name to try to reference. I have spoken to over a dozen different techs in the past few months.

Here is the issue:
When someone calls our office, they start to hear the greeting where I list off the extensions. They should be able to hit any of the extensions and the call will automatically transfer, but that doesn't happen. Even my extension does not work, so they literally have to listen to the long greeting AND my personal phone greeting (I've changed this until the issue is resolved, because it is just excessive). I feel like we are in the homestretch of figuring this out, but it has hit yet another wall.

The last helpful thing I was told, was from Avaya. They gave these instructions:
Sonic is bringing your Voice lines via VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol).
Sonic is then “handing off” the voice lines via Analog Trunk Adapter(ATA) to connect to the Avaya phone system via an Analog Trunk.

There should be an adjustment in the ATA they can make to fix the problem with the DTMF tones.

Below is the adjustments that need to be made on a Cisco ATA as an example (not sure what Sonic is using for the ATA)
Set DTMF Settings after Provisioning is disabled
1. Select Line1 from the Menu on the left.
2. Scroll down to Audio Configuration Section.
3. Set DTMF Process INFO to YES.
4. Set DTMF Process AVT to YES.
5. Set DTMF Tx Method to AUTO.
6. Set DTMF Tx Mode to Normal.
I am really hoping to solve this soon and wish that Sonic had better advice than to post on a forum. Please, if any tech or supervisor can help, I am really being "dragged through the dirt" on this issue. Thank you in advance.

EDIT - I have know discovered that this issue is ONLY on cell phones, which is more predominately used now a days.
by ron.moore » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:58 pm
Hello,

I wanted to thank you for bringing this to our attention, and inform you that inbound DTMF was being handled incorrectly.

What was going on here is that in the initial SDP message (from voice switch to ONT) was not advertising RFC 2833 support. The support for RFC 2833 was coming later in the call flow and by that time it was to late.

I have fixed this problem and now RFC 2833 support is now being advertised in the initial SDP message. I have verified DTMF from a cell phone to a ONT analog line comes through loud and clear in our lab here.

If for some reason your problem persists please contact support right away and reference this post so they can get a ticket opened up right away.
3 posts Page 1 of 1