Sonic voice service - international calls to Hong Kong

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Che » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:44 am
I am having trouble making calls to Hong Kong on my sonic voice service.

My parents have the DSL service while I am on FTTN. Both lines could not get calls connected to any phone numbers in Hong Kong. I tried over 50 numbers, land/fax/mobile but they all ended up somewhere NOT in Hong Kong - seems like the call was mis-connected to an existing call that sounded like Hindu! Been the same all night long.

I called tech support before they closed but was told that Sonic's long-distance service partner is having a lot of trouble making the connections. They took down a few numbers that I had tried calling and said they would pull the log and investigate. At first it sounded good. But after trying for another half an hour of calling different numbers in Hong Kong to no avail AND found that calls to Singapore, Thailand and China all went through without any issue, now I think the case is with Hong Kong and Hong Kong only.

Is anyone on the forum here have the same problem or can anyone please try calling? Calls to Hong Kong are free and you can google for a phone number of a bank, newspaper or whatever. It is driving me slightly crazy here!!
by Che » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:58 am
Update after 12 hours - still cannot connect to any landline/fax phone number in Hong Kong. Must have tried another 50 different numbers. Seems like the connections to cell phone number are back now but the landlines are still down. Also noticed that when dialing to landlines, the Hindu conversation appeared to be a recording. It is just so strange!

Will try Sonic tech support and see if they have any update from the international routing partner.
by Che » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:30 pm
Talked to Sonic tech support and they had no update or feedback for me. Added more Hong Kong numbers that I had tried calling in the last two days. But the point is ALL numbers called ended up with the same recorded conversation - it just clicked (with no ring) and the recording began to play. Have heard it enough time in the last 3 days that I am sure it is a recording.

Timing is bad - my parents want to make sure their friends are okay and I cannot surprise someone with a call on Valentine Day :(
by kgc » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:46 am
Has this been resolved?
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by sallophane » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:56 pm
I am having the same issue making international calls to Hong Kong. Can Sonic please provide an update here?
by mtardif » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:38 pm
Our NOC is actively engaged with our upstream voice providers that route calls onward to Hong Kong to isolate and resolve this issue. This problem seems to be with multiple paths out of our network toward Hong Kong and points toward a problem deeper into the telephone network (further upstream). We have escalated our tickets with these providers and are awaiting business hours replies.

For any customers reading this that have not opened a ticket with our support team (support@sonic.com), please do so as it will assist us with tracking this issue and following up with affected customers once this is resolved.

Thank you for your patience and we are very sorry this is affecting your ability to communicate with your loved ones or conduct business. Resolving this is a top priority for us.

- Sonic NOC
by debmpoon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:07 pm
The last time I was able to call/connect with my relative in Hong Kong via Sonic was 1/23/2020.

Since then, I had called the same number at least 5 times but it sounds like my call were
routed to somewhere else. The party who answered the call did not speak English nor
Cantonese, the local language. However, the person who answer the call sounds the same so
my call was not routed to a random place. I even received called back after I hung up but there
was no call ID to confirm the number.

A service request had been submitted to support@sonic.net.
by Che » Tue May 19, 2020 9:46 pm
kgc wrote:Has this been resolved?
Yes and no unfortunately :(

Calls to Hong Kong were getting through a few weeks about my initial complaints. It went from no call getting through to all calls connecting without any issue. So whatever fixes implemented were working (thank you, Sonic!) But just tonight, my parents complained again the same problem and when I tried, only one out of two numbers in Hong Kong connected. The other call again seemed to end up with a recording in a foreign language. Reported to Sonic Tech Support to start a trace. Hopefully they can fix the problem sooner this time around.
by Che » Mon May 25, 2020 8:27 pm
Update: Calls to HK have been restored as of today, May 25. Thanks, Sonic!!!
9 posts Page 1 of 1