Is the ATA box portable (moving overseas for a year)?

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by dakinbear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:23 pm
Will the ATA box work on any router, or must it be Sonic's AT&T or other Sonic Router. I would love to have landline quality overseas for the next year. Of course, I would be keeping sonic at my home.
by cmeisel » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:00 pm
for sure you can take the mobile app with you and make and receive calls that way :)
by Sonic Guest » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:42 pm
I would be cautious about having to rely on the mobile app. It's reliability has been poor in establishing a call where both parties can hear each other where while on- and off-shore. In instances where the app doesn't work, alternate ones like Google Voice work fine so it's not a general network problem but an Accession infrastructure issue.

But if the ATA were portable that would be pretty awesome.
by sudhirkatta » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:34 am
Has it worked overseas ?
by brandonc » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:40 pm
Unfortunately, the ATA is not portable. It needs to establish connection through the provided AT&T network in order to work.

However, you could set-up call forwarding to your cell phone or another phone via Member Tools, so that you still receive calls. Alternatively, as mentioned above, you could use the Mobile Communicator, but it could run into issues overseas.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by ppappas » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:10 am
The router has nothing to do with it and the ATA does not have to be physically connected to Sonic's network. I have Comcast and Sonic (resold AT&T DSL) internet connections with a Sonicwall firewall-router. My ATA works fine regardless of which internet link it uses (my DSL is down right now and I can still get dial tone and make calls via the ATA). As long as the ATA can connect to Sonic's VoIP server through the internet, it should work. I have no idea if Sonic does any Geolocation access restrictions or if there is too much latency from an overseas ISP, but there is nothing inherent in the technology to prevent this from working.
by virtualmike » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:38 pm
I think the biggest issue is the 911 address associated with the ATA. Moving the ATA to another physical location means a call to 911 would display the wrong address.
by ppappas » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:27 pm
virtualmike wrote:I think the biggest issue is the 911 address associated with the ATA. Moving the ATA to another physical location means a call to 911 would display the wrong address.
True!
8 posts Page 1 of 1