Brainstorm on how to reduce spam calls

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
1 post Page 1 of 1
by alanjc45 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:16 pm
Number blocking has the same problem as IP address blocking. The numbers switch around, and it's hard to know if the caller from that number is the same as the last time. Maybe some RBL setup might work, but I've been wondering if companies could solve it through creative billing options. Here's one idea:

Phone subscribers sign up to have incoming callers pay a fee to call them by default. If the call is not spam, simply dial *xy after the call to have its billing canceled. The phone company gets a cut of all the incoming charges to cover costs, make money, deal with chargebacks. Robocalls would have a problem understanding the terms of calling, but live persons would have to agree to the charges before the call connects. At least it moves the economics of the spam calls and it creates a new revenue stream for the telcos.

Maybe you then offer a whitelist for callers, so they are not having to agree to potential charges every time they call you. It's an opt-in service, so if the subscriber doesn't sign up, calls just work normally like they do now.

It's like a consumer premium rate number, only the billing is more flexible. Hey, there's no reason I can't charge people to call me, right? Solves the whole robo solicitation issue too.

Code: Select all

@
1 post Page 1 of 1