Downgrading from Fusion (ADSL) to POTS-only

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by jht51 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:22 pm
I'm a Sonic customer with the older Fusion product (POTS + ADSL). When/if Sonic fiber becomes available in my area, I'd like to get it but keep the POTS line. I guess that would mean adding new fiber service and downgrading the existing Fusion service to POTS-only and keeping its phone number.

1) Is it possible?

2) Would the $150 POTS-only installation fee apply, given that I already have a Sonic POTS line?

3) Does it depend on AT&T, i.e, will it still work in 2020 when AT&T no longer provides new POTS service?
by anthony.n » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:04 pm
We should be able to downgrade your current service to a POTS line if either Sonic or AT&T fiber service becomes available. You would avoid the $150 install fee by downgrading this way but there have been some rare instances where a technician needs to work on internal wiring to have both services active at the same time. We do not have plans to deactivate our Fusion DSL POTS lines at this time.

To place the downgrade and go over a more detailed plan you can call our support team at 707-547-3400 to make sure the switch to fiber goes smoothly. Our support team is available 8am to 10pm every day.
by dane » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:21 pm
When we build fiber in a region, we end our copper leasing relationship with AT&T and cease our use of their infrastructure. That’s sort of the point. Voice is delivered over the fiber.

You could likely obtain POTS from AT&T directly, if for some reason you prefer that over the Sonic service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jht51 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:33 pm
dane wrote:When we build fiber in a region, we end our copper leasing relationship with AT&T and cease our use of their infrastructure. That’s sort of the point. Voice is delivered over the fiber.
What happens to existing Sonic customers in that region (including customers with Sonic DSL and re-sold AT&T FTTN) who can't be upgraded to fiber because of overloaded poles or whatever? Will they just be dropped?
by btc200 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:22 pm
Can we downgrading from Fusion x2 data and voice to voice only without an installation fee? Sonic has told a neighbor that we're near the bottom of the list when it comes to building out fiber since we are at the end of a phone line run on steep hills :( , so we've found a different internet solution. We'd like to keep our same landline number.
by ewhac » Fri May 01, 2020 3:40 pm
dane wrote:When we build fiber in a region, we end our copper leasing relationship with AT&T and cease our use of their infrastructure. That’s sort of the point. Voice is delivered over the fiber.
My current "plan" (such as it is) when fiber arrived was to keep a single Fusion line so that I could still have static IP and no port blocking for my tiny servers. Now you appear to be saying that, once fiber is deployed, the copper is switched off.

In my mind, this revelation greatly sharpens the need to have broader service offerings over fiber -- particularly static IP. I wish I better understood the issues that have prevented you from making such services available.
6 posts Page 1 of 1