Port out procedure - STILL BROKEN

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by MikeF » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:37 pm
For over two weeks I've been trying to port my voice number to Ting from Sonic without success. The message received (after some delay) is the expected:

"Your previous carrier has advised us that the information you provided doesn't match their records. As a result, they're holding up your number transfer to Ting. Please confirm the information in the form below. Ensure it exactly matches what your previous carrier has on file and we'll try again!"

I have tried multiple ways on Ting's online form, using both my address and the one specified by Sonic support (Sonic net Inc 11 Great Oaks BL San Jose, CA 95119). Apparently this data is sent to Sonics partner XO Communications where my number is 'parked'.

Unfortunately Sonic employees are not empowered to see exactly what does not match and to resolve my problem, despite the fact that they can verify who I am with other information provided (latest Sonic ticket number is 5719253).

Judging by other forum posts this situation has been going on for years with other customers and Sonic management has not seen fit to devise a solution. For example, see DSLreports post https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30248 ... from-Sonic and Sonic post viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4449&hilit=port+out+phone+number

Since I desire to keep this number, I am being held hostage by Sonic in the form of monthly rental in order to keep my number active. Count me as a very unhappy customer who is no longer recommending Sonic!

I have filed a complaint with the FCC and will see if that results in some action.
by sn90000 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:21 pm
BTW this was my post but the forums would not let me post with the username sn90000, error 'already in use'.
If any Sonic management wishes to address the reported issue, my current local phone number has been added to my account.
by anthony.n » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:07 am
sn90000 wrote:BTW this was my post but the forums would not let me post with the username sn90000, error 'already in use'.
If any Sonic management wishes to address the reported issue, my current local phone number has been added to my account.
Hello Mike, a Sonic Supervisor will be reaching out to make sure we have our documentation matching with what Ting is submitting.
by sn90000 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:57 pm
I did receive a call from Anthony who was unable to offer any significant assistance.

As a response to my FCC complaint, I received a letter (not email) from a Dan Thompson, Communications & Escalation Manager, email daniel.thompson@sonic.com ; he provided some contact information for XO Communications which I forwarded to Ting but he also stated, to summarize, that "we can't do anything". The XO contact info may be sensitive so I will hold off posting that for now.

The Ting 'team' has been just as ineffective in investigating the 'information mismatch' issue. Apparently the E(scalation) word is banned from their vocabulary, and they are even more likely to use the classic CSR words "Please Reach Out to [someone else]".

The porting process started about Sept 7.
Color me disgusted.
by sn90000 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:53 pm
Perhaps as a result of me updating the FCC complaint, or possibly my last convo with a better Ting CSR, the Number Transfer Center at T-Mobile (Ting's network provider) called me.

Unfortunately, two CSRs in their Number Transfer Center got exactly the same mismatch error. They also found the Sonic acct number / PIN /address situation confusing. Eventually they escalated the issue to someone else at Ting - Toronto) who will be calling me tomorrow and we'll conference in Sonic for his satisfaction.

BTW some of the information provided by Dan Thompson (per above) is Wrong. The XO/Verizon website https://www22.verizon.com/wholesale/con ... actions.do does NOT have Local Portability Number Center info for California. I did find an XO Wholesale Support number and will post that if it is useful.

More BAH HUMBUG for Sonic !!
by sn90000 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:30 pm
The rep from the Ting Toronto (HQ) location conferenced me in with another Sonic CSR, who repeated the same bizarre information to use in a resubmitted port request. The Ting rep will do that iteratively until hopefully successful.

Color me still skeptical.

Friends don't let friends port their phone number to Sonic.
by Pout357 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:06 am
I just completed a port out from Sonic which took more than 3 weeks, 5 port attempts, 7 calls to support including a 3 way call. I hope the following information helps someone who needs to go through the process:

1) Be sure that your new service provider is sending the port out request to LNPgroup@sonic.net. This was ultimately my issue. The Sprint MNVO and/or Sprint was sending the port request elsewhere. The bizarre thing is that I received different error messages after each attempt such as your number is not portable, your account is not active, your service provider is delaying the port.
2) The PIN is 2620, Sonic's street number
3) Sonic does not use account numbers. Enter your current phone number
4) Be sure your name and address that you submit in your new carrier's port request matches Sonic's data.
5) My account wasn't associated with XO Communications so I can't speak to that.

Ultimately my port issue wasn't Sonic's fault but they may it more painful and prolonged. As you can see from the above there isn't a lot of information required so proper troubleshooting shouldn't be so difficult. During my communications with Sonic CSRs, I received incorrect, incomplete and inconsistent information. One CSR didn't believe what I was telling them and another didn't follow through on what they said they were going to do.
by sn90000 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:37 pm
@Pout357, thank you for documenting your comparitive experience. Here's my reaction to your points.:

1 - I'm not sure anyone at Ting or T-Mobile (VNP partner) knows what email address (if any) their porting web application sends the request to. A modern high volume app would use a secure transaction processing protocol, not SMTP.
2 - No comment. Static, preshared PIN. Can you say 'security issue'?
3 - No customer unique, private account number, unlike every other first world corporation. Managing multiple service addresses for family / friends is tied to voice number. Also, telephone numbers are public information - more potential security issues.
4 - In my case, my service address doesn't seem to be used by XO and their system for 'matching' is unbelieveably picky. WHY doesn't Sonic authorize someone to manually intervene with an actual VOICE conversation to XO. Arrggh.
5 - Not applicable

"During my communications with Sonic CSRs, I received incorrect, incomplete and inconsistent information."
Completely expected when dealing with low info, level 1 CSRs anywhere.
You left out the 'Reach Out To [the other guy]' circle ....

Hopefully more later ....
by sn90000 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:43 pm
It looks like my number FINALLY ported today, partially. The senior Ting HQ rep really had to beat on the port out request infrastructure.

Outgoing calls work but show up as 'blank' at the destination.
Incoming calls to the new (cell) phone don't work yet, still go to Sonic's voicemail.

It looks like, as in other cases, the XO data matching is EXTREMELY picky.
If I find out differently I will update this post, although my access may be cut off when my account is closed soon.
by quiphulu » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:47 am
By the way, the PIN or address of Sonic is 2260, not 2620 like posted in previous post
10 posts Page 1 of 1