Suggested anti-spam feature

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by mike d » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:01 pm
The do-not-call-list is obviously not being enforced, and Nomorobo cannot cope with the proliferation of spammers, and their ability to use a new number every day. We now need a means to block ALL calls aside from a specified list of contacts. Sonic, surely this is something you could do without too much difficulty.
by jacob.karinen » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:11 pm
Hi Mike,

Having a blanket block on all calls expect certain whitelisted numbers sounds like a good idea. I brought it up with one of our systems guys and he said it's actually not as good an idea as we think because of how difficult it is to white list every possible number you may need. For example if you're waiting for a call from your doctor and they call from line 4 of the hospital it's strongly possible a blanket block will stop that call even if you have the hospital is whitelisted. Or if a relative or friend is calling from another phone in case of an emergency.

It may make sense if the blocked calls still went to voicemail but some automated services won't leave a message. If you have any questions please let me know.

Best regards
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by kpatton » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:23 pm
I was recently introduced to a handset from ATT that has a SmartBlock https://telephones.att.com/telephones/c ... ll-blocker

The feature is fairly flexible and has both allow and deny lists. One interesting feature it has is to put the onus on the caller to identify themselves before it rings the handset.

The caller/spamer receives a message that the party they are calling does not accept unidentified calls (calls not in their address book / allow list). The caller is allowed to identify themselves and press #. The call is then allowed through and the recipient of the call can then hear the short message identifying who wants to talk. It is kind of like a call from someone who has been incarcerated.

For robo calls, they just don't get through. I would love to see Sonic add something like this. The main drawback is for elderly callers who get confused easily.

I tried the spam blocking feature from Sonic, but it is a pain to use.

1. Receive spam call
2. Log into Sonic web site
3. Navigate to spam guard thing
4. Type in number of spammer (rinse lather repeat)

For the ATT handsets, you can just press a single key to "block" the call permanently. Nice and simple, even for elderly people.

The only calls I really care about are family and a few friends. They would be in the allow list. Everyone else can deal with jumping through a few hoops.

Sonic, please consider implementing a fix that is not a game a Whack-A-Mole
by syntaxsid1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:37 am
Hello,

Due to the nature of spam callers, they typically "spoof" their number so the actual number you are blocking may not be the number the spammer is calling from. That AT&T handset is neat but they are not the only ones that have that type of phone. You can find MANY phones that do this for you. Panasonic, Uniden and all the major phone manufacturers provide "spam blocking" handsets that will work with our service. They even have a big red "BLOCK" button so all you need to do is hit that button and that specific number will NOT call you again. This would be a more streamlined process than adding spam numbers to your rejection list like you are now. Especially since the numbers are not really the numbers from the spammers. The Spam blocker series of phones don't discriminate. If you want to block that number simply hit the block button and you're done. Here is a link that will show you some of the options. I hope this information helps. Have a great day!

Link to spam blocking phones: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spam+block+p ... _sb_noss_2

Kind Regards,

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1