Possible for Google Voice calls to bypass Sonic voicemail?

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by andrewthomason » Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 pm
New Fusion customer here, enjoying the service very much so far.

I think the answer to this question is probably "no," but I want to make sure: I use a Google Voice number for all of my telephony. I would like to be able to set the Google Voice number to forward calls to both my cell phone and my home phone, and to have the Sonic.net voice mail system completely ignore these calls (in other words, the house phone rings until either I answer the call or the Google Voice voicemail system answers it). All other incoming calls (i.e., all calls actually dialed directly to my home phone number), I would like to go straight to the Sonic.net voice mail system (in other words, not even ringing in my house). Is this (a) possible, (b) possible, but not yet implemented by Sonic.net, or (c) not possible because there's no way for Sonic.net to tell whether or not the calls are direct-dialed versus being forwarded by Google Voice?
by kgc » Thu May 02, 2013 11:02 am
andrewthomason wrote: I think the answer to this question is probably "no," but I want to make sure:
No, at least not the way you'd want it to. You could get close to the desired behavior if you configured the google voice line to forward to their voicemail in fewer rings than Fusion voicemail was configured to do. Theoretically, the google voice calls would not get to Fusion voicemail which a call directly to the fusion line still would.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike » Thu May 02, 2013 9:22 pm
kgc wrote:...if you configured the google voice line to forward to their voicemail in fewer rings than Fusion voicemail was configured to do.
GVoice isn't configurable for the number of rings. Is Fusion Voice Mail configurable for that, or for the # seconds of ringing? When I used to administer a switch, it was a system-wide parameter, but some newer switches implement it as a per-line setting.
by dane » Thu May 02, 2013 9:36 pm
virtualmike wrote:
kgc wrote:...if you configured the google voice line to forward to their voicemail in fewer rings than Fusion voicemail was configured to do.
GVoice isn't configurable for the number of rings. Is Fusion Voice Mail configurable for that, or for the # seconds of ringing? When I used to administer a switch, it was a system-wide parameter, but some newer switches implement it as a per-line setting.
Yes, this can be configured in Member Tools or the Fusion app for iPhone.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Thu May 02, 2013 9:50 pm
dane wrote:...this can be configured in Member Tools or the Fusion app for iPhone.
Excellent. The Voice Mail FAQ doesn't note this.

Even though GV takes all my voice mails, and my home phone has a built-in answering machine that takes one message a year, I may go ahead and turn on Fusion Voice Mail to catch any stragglers. :mrgreen:
by thulsa_doom » Thu May 02, 2013 10:30 pm
virtualmike wrote:
dane wrote:...this can be configured in Member Tools or the Fusion app for iPhone.
Excellent. The Voice Mail FAQ doesn't note this.
Added.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by virtualmike » Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 pm
Thanks, John!
7 posts Page 1 of 1