Can I Change My Sonic Telephone Number?

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Kay » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:51 pm
Ever since I moved 5+ years ago, some collection agency has been calling on and off for weeks/months at a time for the deatbeat who had this telephone number before I did. No matter what I tell them, they will not stop calling. I've been reading that, at this time, Sonic does not allow selective number blocking.

Does Sonic allow a customer to change her telephone number? I could not find the answer in the Knowledge Base.

If not, any suggestions on how to rid myself of these annoying calls?
by thulsa_doom » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:52 pm
Generally speaking switching phone numbers is about as effective a way to avoid telemarketers as switching email addresses is for avoiding spam, which is to say that it isn't very (not in the long term). That said, give us a call and we can get you a new phone number assigned if you like.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by Kay » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:14 pm
Thanks for your response. It doesn't sound encouraging. Since I rarely get telemarketing calls on this line, before I go through the hassle of changing my number permanently, I'll try forward all my calls to my google voice number for a while and selectively block the offender's calls to see if that will stop them.
by thulsa_doom » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:50 pm
To specifically get rid of that collections group, changing your number will help. With other telemarketers that simply robo-call huge tranches of phone numbers, it is better to report their number here to our forum so we can block the callers from our network.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by oddhack » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:32 pm
You might find it helpful to refer to the "How can I stop a debt collector from contacting me?" section of http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/01 ... collection . If they are a non-criminal organization, they may respect a C&D letter, and at least you would have cause to complain to the FTC if it keeps up. Or pursue the "Do I have any recourse if I think a debt collector has violated the law?" section.
by Kay » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:53 pm
oddhack,

Thanks for the link! I'll definitely use it if they start calling me again. Forwarding all phone calls to my Google Voice account and blocking their number there seemed to work ... for now!

Kay
by Joel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 am
Kay wrote: some collection agency has been calling on and off for we?
Read #11 - #14
http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Calls-fr ... -%28USA%29

and
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1183

and REJECT callers not showing CallerID, or showing unknow, or showing invaid, or are invalid in any other way (or play them an announcement explaining why their call will shortly be dumped)

also entertaining/educational: forward unwanted callers to appropriate federal agency passing THEIR CID

and request a feature that will allow a user table to selectively block outgoing CallerID by number dialed (allowing wildcards and partial matches). Depending on configuration CAN prevent toll free ANI from listing number (not possible on terrestial phone)
viewtopic.php?p=5746#p5746

and request a feature to allow you to "subscribe" to one or more number blacklisting services -- what RBL is for email

filtering power delights me! all hail exim

disposable:cyA9zcD7y56oRTa4@spambox.us
expires 1 week hence
7 posts Page 1 of 1