Caller ID displayed on a desktop?

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by jim » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:17 pm
I'm looking for a way to display Caller I.D. information from Fusion onto a desktop (Win 7). I feel sure someone must have addressed this, but I can't find anything on-line. I realize there are issues in getting the Caller ID data from the broadband signal through the modem and into a network--and then interpreted at the desktop, but I'm sure someone must have examined this. I wondering if anyone knows of a device (with appropriate software) that can overlay CID data on a desktop as a pop-up when calls are detected

AT&T does something similar with their U-Verse service--but on the TV--Comcast probably does something similar, but I don't think either of these services can funnel the data to desktops over Ethernet.

Issues:

1. Getting the data around the broadband modem (via a "box") or through a "special" modem that can capture and forward the data.
2. Creating suitable packets that can be sent to each NIC.
3. Software to detect a the CID packets and display the data as a pop-up.

I know there are software packages (some free) that will take CID data from an analog modem ... but broadband?

Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, experiences, etc.?
by dane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:25 pm
Maybe we could develop an app that would live in the tray and display CID straight from the network.

We have a lot of priority features on our list, and this one would be difficult and not likely of interest to a LOT of people, but it's an interesting idea.

The extra box solution is to just park a phone to the side of your monitor. :)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kgc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:56 pm
It looks pretty easy to do with a modem that support caller-id and windows 7.

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/04/getting- ... enter.html
http://www.amazon.com/V-92-V-90-Externa ... im_sbs_e_4
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by jim » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 am
Dane/Kelsey:

Thanks for the swift responses. I realize I can achieve my objective using a POTS modem, but that means bringing an analog line to every PC--and extra hardware for each PC. When I began my seach for a suitable software solution, I thought I would find software product that might be described as "a (reduced) Skype look-alike" that would provide an avenue through the broadband modem. I've still not found anything.

Dane ... I think a lot of people would find this a useful addition. When the phone rings, I'm diverted from what I'm
doing--often to find I've been interrupted by a junk (unsolicted marketing) call. A pop-up would provide easy call screening with minimal disruption of my work. The system tray approach is what I had in mind.

Anyway, thanks again to you both for the responses.

Jim
by dane » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:22 am
What about putting a little Panasonic DECT wireless phone next to each PC? Put it just to the lower right of the monitor, and pretend it's in the tray? :)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kgc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 pm
Jim - http://w7callerid.com has some kind of network service support and can handle multiple lines with up to 8 client computers. No endorsement implied here since I've never used it - it was just the first hit on google.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
6 posts Page 1 of 1