Spam number block requests post here

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
2698 posts Page 1 of 270
by lennette » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:53 pm
I was out of the country when your blocking service was introduced, and looked forward to substantial relief from the many spam marketing calls I receive. I am assuming that at least a few are being blocked, but am disappointed overall. I think that I can give you some of the numbers that keep getting through, repeatedly, and hope that you can check them out for adding to your blocking list. Here are the first few (I'll post more as they accumulate):
860 829-1141
813 769-0659
530 559-1657
708 259-8868

Maybe I'll be able to answer my phone again, when the calls are not >90% junk!

David
by kgc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:06 pm
David, thanks for the reports. We'll review and consider these for addition to our block list.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by ankh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 am
How do you identify the calling number?
(I'm guessing we need to buy a new phone that displays caller-ID)

Is there a way here on the computer side to see the number that would be redialed with *69?

Getting more spam robot calls today.

DELIGHTED to see Sonic will take reports to be considered -- as soon as I can, I will do that eagerly.
by virtualmike » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:17 pm
ankh wrote:How do you identify the calling number?
(I'm guessing we need to buy a new phone that displays caller-ID)
You can get a basic corded phone with a caller-ID display for around $15 at various discount stores. Amazon has an AT&T model for $15.
by Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:25 pm
A sudden spike in SPAM calls in the past week:

954 247 4570
805 408 4264
253 245 2220
408 199 3353
by ankh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:49 pm
> phone with a caller-ID display

Yep, and we will get something like that.

Wondered if the same info was retrievable through Sonic, particularly when it's an answering machine or voicemail message (I know often the number they _tell_ you to dial is not the number that places the call originally)

(Sometimes we do have the old answering machine on, picking up before Sonic voicemail picks up, to make sure we know a call is coming in -- those often collect just click-hangup messages)
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:37 pm
ankh wrote:Wondered if the same info was retrievable through Sonic
According to other messages in the forum, Sonic.net doesn't have plans to collect that information.

In my experience, few landline telcos do. Outbound calling information usually is retained, because charges can be related to the calls.
by ankh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:53 am
I'm thinking of the "call return" feature --- it keeps the last number that called into your home. *69

I think some systems let you retrieve that number rather than just dialing it for you; not sure how Sonic does it.
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 pm
Yes, most modern switches will retain the last number, for use in *69 and other calling features. However, I've never seen a system that will provide that number to the subscriber.

I've never used *69 with AT&T (and its predecessors), but I do know that when CPUC gave approval for the service, it required Pac*Bell and GTE (the names at that time) to mask the number on the phone bill (it could only reveal 415-786-xxxx, not the full number). Even after Caller ID was approved in CA, calls returned by *69 still masked the number on bills.

I don't know if masking is required today. I wouldn't be surprised if that rule has been relaxed.
by ankh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 pm
> switches will retain the last number, for use in *69

Thanks. I'll hope Sonic takes it as a suggestion, if it's possible to make it available to us online.
2698 posts Page 1 of 270