Status of per-customer configurable call blocking

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by ronks » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:10 am
In a thread on Fusion call blocking from 2012, I see that Dane said

> Per-customer configurable call blocking is the final portion, and we will be adding that too at a future time.

So far as I can tell, that option is not presently available. Am I just looking for it in the wrong place?
Or is there a timetable for its introduction? It would be a great benefit to have the ability to
- whitelist callers and block those not on the list, say at night or selected times
- blacklist certain callers, with wildcards like area code 888
by mike d » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:06 pm
I just got off the phone with Sonic tech support and asked almost exactly this same question. This is obviously not on their action list. Don't know why; shouldn't be too hard to implement.
by travlos » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:48 pm
This is one of the reasons I'm still using Ooma for voip service.

Sonic - what's the hold up?
by jilbrown » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:27 am
PHONE NUMBER BLOCKING NEEDED NOW

We need the call blocking feature! This is a priority for all Sonic phone users (VOIP and POTS). Sonic, please make this your number one priority and implement it ASAP. Phone calls that are not wanted are equally annoying and dangerous as email and text messages. This is a pet peeve that has turned into a real problem -- Get it Done!

P.S. - Thanks for being the BEST ISP. . . I would hate to ever move and have to suffer with com-crap or AT$T.
by ds_sonic_asif » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:53 pm
We also are still using Ooma instead of the Sonic provided number. With the current state of robocalling we have transitioned to allow only whitelisted calls through (on Ooma this granularity is "is it in my contacts list?"), and sending all others not explicitly blocked immediately to voicemail.

Don't know about the capabilities of Sonic's phone switching system, but from a customer point of view it has already enough data to implement this feature.
by CM Fam » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:31 am
Is there no way for me to block an unwanted phone number?
Just got two calls from an 877 number claiming to be social security administration at 6am and 640am. Woke up our entire household

How do I block this number?
877-593-2533
by GUEST » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:03 am
A lot of telephones now come with built-in call blocking. Our Panasonic phone, with 1 base station and 4 handsets, includes call blocking via the phone's Caller ID menu. We can block up to 30 telephone numbers, and when we reach the limit, we remove some of the old numbers to make room for the new. We can also set "sleep" hours for the ringers on individual handsets and on the base station, so no one needs to be awakened by a 3 am caller from some other time zone. The phone is a standard model available at places like Costco or Office Depot. I'm pretty sure other phone brands offer similar functionality.
by joemuller » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:58 am
CM Fam wrote:Is there no way for me to block an unwanted phone number?
Just got two calls from an 877 number claiming to be social security administration at 6am and 640am. Woke up our entire household

How do I block this number?
877-593-2533
Unfortunately, that's a real Social Security Administration number, so we can't block it across all customers. (See here.) In your case, it was spoofed by whoever was making the scam calls.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by bubba198 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:58 pm
I'm surprised that blocking based on caller ID is still viewed as remotely viable these days. Spoofing is a standard practice now and almost mandatory for robo spammers.

If Sonic wants to get with the modern days of true spam blocking then they would need to do it at the point of SS7 filtering on their Santa Rosa switch SNRTCAHFDS0 with LRN 707 755 5999 which is the LRN for most if not all of the VOIP numbers issued to us - the GPON customers.

There's some pretty sophisticated software now days specifically designed for SS7 analytics and KPI thresholds based on all kinds of cool modern magic such as known sources, volume, call pattern
by fogline » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:45 pm
I'm getting multiple robo/spam calls every day. I do have Sonic's Noborobo spam call blocker on for the line. I have been adding numbers every day to the rejection list, and now get a message that it can't save any more numbers as the limit is exceeded. What is the rejection list limit, and why is there a limit?
10 posts Page 1 of 1