Using a PAP2 to use my phone line in vacation house

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by ngufra » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:29 am
I am a happy member with sonic fiber.

The phone is done as a voip line with a pots line coming out of the ont. I also use the android app to pick up and make calls from my cell phone.

I would like to be able to register that voip line on a PAP2 at a vacation house that has satellite internet but not telephone access.

I could pick up the calls from my cell phone though the sonic app, but i would prefer to receive them on a regular corded phone.

I asked on the past and was told only the ont can be used.
Has the policy change ? If not is it for cost/support/legal/e911 reasons?

Thank you

-Francois
by dct » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 pm
The issue here is that the phone service wasn't designed to be portable; we do offer the app in the times you need a landline call to ring through to your mobile devices, but physically moving the ATA can introduce a number of issues regarding reliability and safety (such as E911).

That said, we can always forward the telephone number to the vacation homes landline. The calls would hit our servers, be sent to your ATA, and then ultimately ring through to the corded phone. Give us a call if you'd like us to make this change - it should only take a minute or two.

Hope that helps,
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by ngufra » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:28 pm
Thank you Dan.

I know how to setup the forwarding in sonic webUI.
I could also pick up calls to my sonic number from the app on my cell phone connected through wifi my my satellite internet (hugues net) but i would prefer a cordless phone than a cell phone.

The problem is that the vacation house does not have a landline.
So i would need to get a phone number from another voip provider and tell sonic to forward calls to this number.
I had hoped that i could just setup my PAP2 to connect and register to sonic voip server like my cell phone does through the sonic app and plug a long range cordless phone (engenius durafon) to PAP2 so i am not limited by the wifi range.

So if the problem is e911, could it be available as a Labs feature i.e. unsupported but still available?

Thank you

-Francois
by danielg4 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:20 am
I already asked this exact question in another thread and the answer has not changed:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7277
4 posts Page 1 of 1