Frowarding to Sonic *from* Google Voice Number

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by buckarooster » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:39 am
Hello, I use my Google Voice (GV) # on my entry system so that I can buzz folks at my front gate in from my cell phone or land line by forwarding to those lines from the GV number. My old land line was actually VOIP (Phone Power). When I got the Sonic a couple of months ago, I went through the steps to add the new Sonic Number as a forwarding number from GV. This process, which involves a code dialed in from Google to the Sonic number, went fine. I now have the Sonic number in my GV control panel and it is checked, meaning calls to the GV number are supposed to make my Sonic number ring. For some reason it has not worked this way, and I've checked ALL the settings on GV to make sure they are correct, and still the Sonic number will not ring when the GV number is called.

Has anyone else had this problem? I know some services do not allow GV forwarding, but I have found nothing to indicate that ATT Land Lines or Sonic.net Land Lines (same thing, I think, because Sonic contracts with ATT for the voice line) will not work with Google Voice. Am I missing something? I've also checked the settings on Sonic. Everything looks good there, but still no calls via GV.

Thanks.

Buckarooster
by wa2ibm » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:32 am
Just a couple of things:

If you're talking about a Sonic Fusion phone line, AT&T is NOT involved with your dialtone. Their only involvement is the copper pair from the CO to your house. Sonic uses their own phone equipment at the CO for Fusion.

Secondly, what happens when you call your GV number and let it ring? Is your Sonic number the only number enabled on the GV control panel? The reason I ask is that Sonic has been working on blocking incoming calls from known spammers or blocks of numbers known to have been used by spammers (robocalls, etc.). You might try disabling other numbers other than your Sonic number to see what happens from the calling-end viewpoint. If your GV number is being blocked by Sonic, you should receive some type of message.

Also, Sonic does block some special combinations of caller-id, but those are not published to prevent spammers from getting around them. From my understanding, the caller-id you should receive on your Sonic line should be of the number that is calling your GV number (GV forwards the caller-id). Just another possibility.
by virtualmike » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:42 am
I've been using Google Voice for several years. When I ported over to Sonic.net Fusion, I kept the same phone number as I'd used with AT&T. However, calls to my GV number would not ring the Fusion line on the day of the port. It worked just fine the following day, and has worked ever since. The GV number is the only one I give to others.

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but if someone calls the Fusion # directly, does the phone ring? If you call your cell from the Fusion line, does the correct number show in the caller ID on the cell?
by buckarooster » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:33 am
Thanks for the responses and the clarification about ATT, I had already tried disabling the Sonic spam filter for voice calls, but it did not solve the problem.

The Sonic number is the only one active for forwarding within GV. I have a theory that maybe all forwarding was blocked by GV because I still had my old Phone Power # listed in GV. It was not checked (active) but it was still "activated" which may have been a problem with Google after I got rid of that number (Google actually sent me an email asking me if I was planning to use that number anymore, but they did not say I had to delete it in order for the other forwarding numbers to work). At any rate, I deleted it yesterday, and have not verified yet whether the deletion solved the problem.

I work in Afghanistan and have a house sitter at my place in SF. I was able to verify that the number is not forwarding by looking at the call records in Google Voice (missed and received calls). Does Sonic have a similar record? I only see one number listed for Voice--Usage, an outgoing call from July, but I know there were at least some incoming calls (such as the incoming call from GV when we set up the code to activate the number). I have been meaning to test out both numbers but have not had a chance yet, will probably do it tonight.
by virtualmike » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:38 am
buckarooster wrote:I work in Afghanistan and have a house sitter at my place in SF.
That may be the issue. If Google detected you are using a non-U.S. IP address, then it may be "ignoring" the changes you've made.

Can you have your housesitter try setting up a GV number for this? It can be through a different Google account (a home phone number can be linked to two GV accounts with no problem).
5 posts Page 1 of 1