Couple of issues with 'Send a Fax'

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by virtualmike » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:37 pm
I discovered two minor issues with the Send A Fax service this evening.

1. I chose to add a cover sheet. The text I pasted into the "Comments" box had several short lines of text, like this:
To: City xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: (123) 456-8567
Subj: yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Exam: #12345-67-89-12

Number of documents attached: 1
Number of pages to follow: 3

Hello,

Following this cover page is <more text...>
However, the test fax I sent myself showed the comments like this:
To: City xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Fax: (123) 456-8567 Subj: yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Exam: #12345-67-89-12

Number of documents attached: 1 Number of pages to follow: 3

Hello,

Following this cover page is <more text...>
Would it be possible not to merge the lines into paragraphs?

2. The PDF that I attached has pages scanned in landscape orientation, but they are rotated when viewed through Acrobat, Sumatra, Nitro, etc. Send A Fax kept the pages rotated, meaning they were squeezed from 11 inches across to 8.5 inches, and 8.5 inches high were stretched to 11. Could the fax software rotate the pages so they get faxed as typical 8.5 x 11? ...thanks!
by kgc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:58 pm
With regards to the cover letter, if I had to guess, the browser is responsible for the paragraph wrapping and not the cover letter generator. I'm fairly sure that nothing in the code path would mess with \r or \r\n in such a way as to remove them altogether. In the second, can you send a copy of the original PDF to me in email?
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:18 pm
Response sent by email.
by mariabm » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:32 am
Regarding #1, I can confirm that single line breaks in the comment field are merged together, but 2 line breaks in a row are not. Not pasting text in, just typing it in and hitting return at the end of the line. This is easy to replicate by sending a test fax. I'm on latest Chrome for Mac.

If I had to guess, I'd think that there is some logic that is trying to 'unwrap' the text in that field, but is being a bit overzealous.

Thanks,
Tom
by kgc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:20 pm
Tom, if this is the case, it is likely something going on deep inside the code (more likely a dependent tool) -- there's a growing todo list for the send a fax tool so it is probably time to dig in and get a new release out soon.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
5 posts Page 1 of 1