Limited internet access running Sonic VPN witn Windows 8

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by glacierfondu » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:44 pm
I upgraded to Windows 8 last week and connected to Sonic.net through my home Wifi network successfully. Then I downloaded vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.07.0290-k9.exe and installed the Cisco VPN client. After following the instructions found elsewhere to alter the name of the virtual adaptor in the Windows Registry I was able to connect through the VPN.

But the problem is that my taskbar WiFi icon shows "No Internet Access", under "Networks" it shows my connection to my WiFi network as "Limited" and under Network Connections - Local Area Connection Enabled Cisco Systems VPN Adaptor it shows I have "no network access" under IVP6 connectivity but I do have "Internet" under IVP4 Connectivity.

None of this would matter much except all Windows "Apps" on the new Start screen for example: Maps, Weather, Sports, News, Store, etc. show that I am Offline and are thus non-functional. Is there any fix for this, a way to set up my connection manually so it will connect normally or do I simply have to disconnect from the VPN every time I want to use Windows Apps?
by thulsa_doom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:08 pm
If I recall correctly, the Cisco VPN client we link to never fully integrated with Windows Vista, two full versions of the operating system ago. Is this the 64-bit version of the OS or the 32-bit version?
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by glacierfondu » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:29 pm
I'm running the 32 bit version of Windows 8.
by aw » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:24 pm
John: The Vista/Windows7 version that you provide has worked fine every time for me, as long as I installed as Administrator.
by thulsa_doom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm
One of my coworkers tried this out on a laptop running Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) successfully connected and passed traffic, so it doesn't appear to be a total failure of compatibility.

aw - the problems with Vista had to do with having it autorun at startup. I never ran into any additional problems with Windows 7.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by kavan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:42 am
Actually, I had not tried the modern ui apps and now see that they are in fact reporting no internet connection. Very strange but I'll report back if I can figure out why it is.
by kavan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:09 am
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 88c116be91

I'm still reading but it seems microsoft is at least aware of the issues.
by virtualmike » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 pm
I'm using the Cisco VPN client on a Windows 7 Pro x64 machine, both for connecting to Sonic.net VPN, as well as to my employer's VPN.

The majority of the time, the tray icon for the WiFi (the five little bars) will have a little yellow triangle with an exclamation point, and if I hover the mouse pointer over it, the pop-up says "Limited Connectivity" or "No Internet Access." However, all my apps work normally.

I'm guessing something on my machine is trying to access 127.0.0.1, or maybe something on my local network, and the tunnel is preventing it.
8 posts Page 1 of 1