Inbound Fax to Email with FaxLine

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
76 posts Page 1 of 8
by kgc » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:27 pm
We're ready for beta testers for our new FaxLine Fax to Email service. There's really not too much to say here. You can request a local fax number and provide us with a list of email addresses that you'd like received faxes routed to as PDFs. The PDFs are passed through an OCR system and while the results vary greatly with the input it generally is good enough for you OS's to index the faxes for search based on their content.

The big news is that we're making our FaxLine free for all internet access customers! Additional lines are $4.95/mo if you need additional dedicated fax numbers. Either way this is a great deal considering the cost of competitive online fax services.

https://members.sonic.net/fax_rx/

Please let me know if you have any questions or run into any problems.

At this time, we aren't able to port numbers to this service but this feature is likely to be added sometime down the road.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by aw » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:45 am
kgc wrote: At this time, we aren't able to port numbers to this service but this feature is likely to be added sometime down the road.
Would it be possible to sign up for this with a new number, then switch it to a ported number down the road when you're able to do that? Would like to test this out before dumping e-fax :)
by dane » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:07 am
aw wrote:
kgc wrote: At this time, we aren't able to port numbers to this service but this feature is likely to be added sometime down the road.
Would it be possible to sign up for this with a new number, then switch it to a ported number down the road when you're able to do that? Would like to test this out before dumping e-fax :)
You could just de-activate the FaxLine service you've got, then if/when we offer porting, re-activate and port. But, there are no near-term plans to offer porting with this free service.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mollyf-sonic-forum » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:37 pm
I'm getting an error message when I click the Add New FaxLine button at the Member Tools link above. It says "
An unexpected error has occurred. Please click here to start over."
by dale » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:39 pm
I wanted to check it out, so I went to the page at https://members.sonic.net/fax_rx/ and click "Add New FaxLine"

Takes me to next page and returns message "An unexpected error has occurred. Please click here to start over."

Click the "click here" link to start over.

Takes me to the "Send New Fax" page at https://members.sonic.net/fax/ instead of the FaxLine page.

Thoughts?
by geoffb » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:02 pm
We have a possible fix in place for this issue; please try again and let us know if you are still receiving this error message.
Sonic.net System Operations
by mollyf-sonic-forum » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:09 pm
Great! Thanks!
by dale » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:24 pm
Okay, so now I get to the "sign up" screen, but the tool reports:

We were unable to find any available numbers in your area. Please try another number.

I hadn't entered a number, and there are none appearing on my screen, so I entered my local (Humboldt County) phone number in the box, hoping it would prompt the tool to look for something up here, but no dice. So is there an additional issue with the tool here, or is this service only available in specific geographic locations?
by dane » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:29 pm
Ah, here's a good point. Yes, we only have numbers in the greater Bay Area footprint, so we wouldn't be able to offer you a local number in Humboldt.

To be offered numbers, put in any valid Bay Area phone number in the search box and it'll offer you numbers in that rate center. Sorry we can't provide local numbers up there!

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by parkerday » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:31 pm
This is really great for those rare times my company needs to receive a fax. Right now we're paying about $5/month to CallCentric for this, but if we can get it for free that's a great bonus. I was able to sign up with no problems and will report back if there are any issues.
76 posts Page 1 of 8