Shell server adjustments

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
63 posts Page 1 of 7
by scott » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:17 pm
I'll be restarting the shell server at 3pm today, then will be making some adjustments. The adjustments shouldn't cause any more downtime -- but just in case they do, let me apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

I'll be making changes to mount management that should make the shell server more secure, reliable, and rapid.

-Scott
by scott » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm
More adjustments made today in how filesystems are mounted.

User XDG_RUNTIME directories are now tmpfs filesystems mounted in private chroots. So you'll see something like:

Code: Select all

scott_xdg                                1048576          0   1048576   0% /run/user

/run/user]_(scott@sh)_
$ find . -ls
42438105    0 drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root           60 Sep 26 14:19 .
42437367    0 drwx------   2 scott    user           40 Sep 26 14:19 ./504
Please let me know if it breaks. :)

Edit: BTW, can't think of any programs that actually use this directory -- but systemd makes a big deal about it, so we have to handle it.

-Scott
by scott » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:37 am
Shell server restart today at 3pm.

I figure that's the best time for restart because a) there are a lot of night owls that use it, and b) if something goes sideways, we have some time during the work day to recover.

-Scott
by eespinoza » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:05 am
N/M. My mistake.
by yronwode » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:21 pm
Hi there! I recently began to have a problem with the IRC command in the shell.

Here's the error response:

*** IRC_ENCODING value ISO-8859-1 is not supported by this
system
*** INPUT_ENCODING value ISO-8859-1 is not supported by
pthis system
*** DISPLAY_ENCODING value ISO-8859-1 is not supported by
this system
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I don't think that the problem is with my macro since just plain 'irc' command also results in the problem. I've been using Dalnet's servers to connect for a very long time and have only recently become denied, tried other servers but even the command "server {ip}" isn't working.
by apl » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:02 pm
Try adding to your .ircrc
SET DISPLAY_ENCODING UTF-8
SET IRC_ENCODING UTF-8
SET INPUT_ENCODING UTF-8

This still gives the error messages on startup, but seems to not crash afterwards.

A better solution would be for someone at sonic to either update the irc program, or to figure out why the iconv util doesn't seem to know about ISO-8859-1 anymore (which seems like it could cause problems for other programs as well).
by yronwode » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:38 am
Thank you. That did allow me to reconnect to IRC, and though it does still contain the errors on start-up, it is a good solution.

I am hoping that the use of the UNIX Shell will not be significantly affected by the coming shift of home directories.

I am only partly recalling what might have to be changed if macros and files like the .ircrc have to be reprogrammed, but i'm mostly using the shell to connect in IRC and to create symbolic links in my websites with ln -s command.
by scott » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:54 pm
apl wrote:Try adding to your .ircrc
SET DISPLAY_ENCODING UTF-8
SET IRC_ENCODING UTF-8
SET INPUT_ENCODING UTF-8

This still gives the error messages on startup, but seems to not crash afterwards.

A better solution would be for someone at sonic to either update the irc program, or to figure out why the iconv util doesn't seem to know about ISO-8859-1 anymore (which seems like it could cause problems for other programs as well).
Thank you for posting the work around. I got the latest release of ircII and built it to use UTF-8.

Whoever mentioned that iconv could be the culprit, it was, partially. During the latest glibc update, a lot of the "gconv" files got zeroed out. (Found them with "rpm --verify").
by scott » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:03 pm
About to reboot in about an hour.

Nightops maintenance of the shell server -- changing directory hashes for home directories. So for my specific example, instead of my home directory being /home/s/scott, it will be /home/12/22/scott, where the "12" and the "22" come from a special hash function.

-Scott
by scott » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:10 am
scott wrote:About to reboot in about an hour.

Nightops maintenance of the shell server -- changing directory hashes for home directories. So for my specific example, instead of my home directory being /home/s/scott, it will be /home/12/22/scott, where the "12" and the "22" come from a special hash function.

-Scott
Nightop complete. If you can't log in, email shellmaster@sonic.net -- I'll be watching it for a couple of hours and make sure people are getting in.
63 posts Page 1 of 7