Shell server adjustments

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
54 posts Page 2 of 6
by nhdesign » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 am
Good morning Scott,

I am able to log in but my dot files are not working.

$
_[/home2/02/32/nhdesign]_(nhdesign@sh)_
$ source .login
-sh: source: .login: file not found
_[/home2/02/32/nhdesign]_(nhdesign@sh)_
$

I can vi .login
ls -a display all my files are present
by scott » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:28 am
nhdesign wrote:
Good morning Scott,

I am able to log in but my dot files are not working.

$
_[/home2/02/32/nhdesign]_(nhdesign@sh)_
$ source .login
-sh: source: .login: file not found
_[/home2/02/32/nhdesign]_(nhdesign@sh)_
$

I can vi .login
ls -a display all my files are present


Taking a look ...

Edit: Yep, their /bin/tcsh shell got flipped back to the default /bin/sh. If anybody else notices their shell getting reset to the default from whatever {valuable,exotic,etc} shell you like to login with, post here or email shellmaster@sonic.net to get your shell reset to the proper value. (We have to run chsh with the current setup, there's no working chsh on the shell server. Maybe there should be.)

Edit edit: Man, that looks harsh on second reading. Sorry for the terseness. No worries, it's all good. :)
by mball » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:32 am
Oh, my shell!

Used to be tcsh.
Now it's /bin/sh.
Please chsh for me.

Also, remind me how to see my passwd entry in an environment where it is stored on some server somewhere.
by scott » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:12 pm
mball wrote:
Oh, my shell!

Used to be tcsh.
Now it's /bin/sh.
Please chsh for me.

Also, remind me how to see my passwd entry in an environment where it is stored on some server somewhere.


It's fixed, please log out and log back in for it to take effect for your next session.

To get at the system databases, use getent like this:
$ getent passwd mball
mball:(passwd entry is printed)

-Scott
by nhdesign » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:02 am
Is it safe to write these two files to accomplish the same thing by overriding what etc passwd has set?


-----------------------------------------------------------------
#.bash_profile
#20210225

source $HOME/.profile



-----------------------------------------------------------------
#.profile
#20210225

# export SHELL=`which tcsh`
# [ -z "$TCSH_VERSION" ] && exec "$SHELL" -l

SHELL=`type -P tcsh`
exec tcsh -l

source .login
source .cshrc

-----------------------------------------------------------------
by scott » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:35 am
nhdesign wrote:
Is it safe to write these two files to accomplish the same thing by overriding what etc passwd has set?


-----------------------------------------------------------------
#.bash_profile
#20210225

source $HOME/.profile



-----------------------------------------------------------------
#.profile
#20210225

# export SHELL=`which tcsh`
# [ -z "$TCSH_VERSION" ] && exec "$SHELL" -l

SHELL=`type -P tcsh`
exec tcsh -l

source .login
source .cshrc

-----------------------------------------------------------------


That should work, except that the last two "source" statements will never execute. (When you exec tcsh, it replaces the current process.)

I would like to point out that it is highly unlikely that we will change your shell in the future, this was a very unusual circumstance, of which the conditions have now been removed. Shouldn't happen again.
by khegel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:16 am
Hello, would you mind changing my default shell to zsh? Thanks!
by scott » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:31 am
khegel wrote:
Hello, would you mind changing my default shell to zsh? Thanks!

Sure.
BTW folks, looks like we have tech support able to change shells now. :)
-Scott
by sls123 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:31 pm
Where the hell did my home directory go? Another reboot 25 minutes ago and my
files are all gone. I am unable to connect to the irc server; it closes the connection.

[sls123@sh ~]$ echo $HOME
/home2/01/39/sls123
[sls123@sh ~]$ ls -l $HOME
total 0
[sls123@sh ~]$ ls -ltra $HOME
total 4
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 20 Feb 25 01:29 ..
drwxr-xr-x. 2 sls123 user 22 Mar 15 17:23 .
-rw-------. 1 sls123 user 433 Mar 15 17:28 .history
[sls123@sh ~]$
by sls123 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:31 pm
My home directory appears to be back. There was nothing in the MOTD about expecting interruption in access to home directory.
54 posts Page 2 of 6

Who is online

In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 999 on Mon May 10, 2021 1:02 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests