Looking for .swp files from sudden disconnection from mutt

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jwermont » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:37 am
Hi,

I was writing a long email today when suddenly my laptop shut off. I didn't realize it wasn't plugged into the power source and the battery (suddenly) ran out. When I got back onto the shell, I tried to find the .swp file that is usually left behind when a vi process is suddenly terminated without saving the file.

On the old shell (on bolt.sonic.net), .swp files generated in mutt were located in one of the directories near the root. However, now that I'm using imap, I have no idea where those files might be. I've done "find" searches in various places, including the top level of my home directory, and haven't found it. I hate to lose everything I've already written, so I'd really like to get hold of that file if it exists.

This happened around 11:00 am today PST, give or take (can't remember the exact time, but it's 11:35 now, and it seemed to be about 30 minutes ago).

Thanks for any pointers!

J. Wermont
by scott » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:29 pm
jwermont wrote:Hi,

I was writing a long email today when suddenly my laptop shut off. I didn't realize it wasn't plugged into the power source and the battery (suddenly) ran out. When I got back onto the shell, I tried to find the .swp file that is usually left behind when a vi process is suddenly terminated without saving the file.

On the old shell (on bolt.sonic.net), .swp files generated in mutt were located in one of the directories near the root. However, now that I'm using imap, I have no idea where those files might be. I've done "find" searches in various places, including the top level of my home directory, and haven't found it. I hate to lose everything I've already written, so I'd really like to get hold of that file if it exists.

This happened around 11:00 am today PST, give or take (can't remember the exact time, but it's 11:35 now, and it seemed to be about 30 minutes ago).

Thanks for any pointers!

J. Wermont
Hi,

Looks like it's in /tmp -- .mutt-sh-11832-3435-1496020385145349171.swp

-Scott
by jwermont@sonic.net » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:48 pm
Thanks! I guess I didn't save my email as I was typing it, all that was in it was the quoted text from the person I was replying to. Oh, well.
3 posts Page 1 of 1