Alpine password

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by simonson » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:48 pm
Perhaps this question has already been answered, but...
I resisted switching to the new shell and alpine until the old shell was shut down.

I switched to the new shell and alpine, and following the advice in the shell transition document, I modified .pinerc to use Imap and can successfully send and receive messages.

My problem is that every time that I open alpine, I am prompted:
HOST: imapd.sonic.net:993 USER: xxxx ENTER PASSWORD:

I would prefer not to re-enter the password every time. Can the password be avoided by specifying it in a file, OR, can alpine be called in such a way as to pass the parameter in the command line?

Thanks.
by scott » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:30 pm
simonson wrote:Perhaps this question has already been answered, but...
I resisted switching to the new shell and alpine until the old shell was shut down.

I switched to the new shell and alpine, and following the advice in the shell transition document, I modified .pinerc to use Imap and can successfully send and receive messages.

My problem is that every time that I open alpine, I am prompted:
HOST: imapd.sonic.net:993 USER: xxxx ENTER PASSWORD:

I would prefer not to re-enter the password every time. Can the password be avoided by specifying it in a file, OR, can alpine be called in such a way as to pass the parameter in the command line?

Thanks.
Alpine is _supposed_ to be able to store its password in an encrypted file, but it doesn't seem to be working properly on CentOS7.

Another problem with Alpine is an issue with how it locks traditional Unix mailboxes. I tried adding a patch to fix it (telling alpine to treat sshfs like nfs), but that doesn't seem to work in all cases. I still need to see if this happens with Maildir folders.

-Scott
by Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:30 pm
Provided the Alpine configuration isn't set to disable password caching, before this install of Alpine will even consider asking you to "Preserve password on DISK for next login", you have to manually create a empty ".alpine.passfile" (without quotes) file in your user directory. However, even with the file created and the configuration set properly, after you choose to preserver the password, Alpine reports the following:
  • "Attempting to encrypt password file"
Almost immediately followed by:
  • "Refusing to write non-encrypted password file"
I hope this gets fixed soon.
by Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:41 pm
Managed to get the PKCS file written using a kludge, but in doing so it exchanged entering the IMAP password for a Alpine master password. This might be beneficial in that a complicated Sonic password can be boiled down to pressing a single key 8-times, which is the minimum length. I don't consider this to be an improvement. If Alpine or the environment in which it resides isn't going to get fixed, can v4.58 of Pine get reinstalled?
by Guest » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:52 pm
Scott,

Will Alpine get fixed soon?

If Alpine is not able to be fixed, can you install v4.58 of Pine?
by Guest » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:18 pm
Scott,

Will Alpine get fixed?

If Alpine can not be fixed, can you please install the working v4.58 of Pine?
by Thiesi » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:43 pm
@Guest How exactly did you mange to get the key and certificate written? It doesn't work for me even with a manually created key pair.
7 posts Page 1 of 1