Bolt shutdown imminent

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
19 posts Page 1 of 2
by scott » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:51 pm
Okay, we were going to turn off _all_ access to Bolt today, but a couple of customers are still clearing up some loose ends. Would be nice to do it tomorrow mid-day.

Folks should be connecting to the shell server with the address shell.sonic.net. "sh.sonic.net" will get there too, but that is the canonical name of the host -- if we change hostnames in the future, that one might cease to work!

-Scott
by anatola2 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:39 pm
Background:
I've been using the New shell (off and on) since February. If the New shell misbehaved, I went back to the Old shell.

This weekend when I disconnected from sh.sonic.net (using Putty Release 0.70) 2 days ago... I did a non-OS reboot, I expected to resume SSH in moments. After the reboot, I connected back to the shell via puTTY, -- as usual New shell requested my puTTYgen key passphrase, and as usual for the NEW Shell, it prints Further authentification required

-- but now it promptly turns off and boots me out. Putty window goes POOF!

-Old shell never asked me to further authenticate myself. OldShell is no longer a fall back.

How to authenticate? I do not own a cell phone or google app enabled device of any type.
I'm completely deaf so if I have to make a phone call, I use the California Deaf Relay, or SprintIP (online).
I understand cell phone users can use a google app to validate themselves.

Is there something a deaf person can do if Puttygen is not enough?

No joy logging into SSH for the past two days.
Oldshell gone, I called support today and after some sweet positivity and back and forth from the support guy, my Putty login access was restored by what sounds like clearing 8 previous sessions (not sure what that is about). I had only one screen session (screen -list) on the new shell, what did I do?

Finally got a chance to explore my shell environment, I found all my user files had been removed and the environment was in a minty fresh user account state. None of my settings, sigs, document files were there any more. No Mail folder,; no subfolders. Default web file still works probably due to OldShell. The SSH key still works but I don't see the files at all in Newshell.

Support on the relay call had said to write to Labs for more help if I needed it. So here I am.
<g> I'd like my files restored.

Thanks in advance.
by scott » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:06 pm
Hi,

The message about incomplete authentication is a by product of supporting Google two-factor authentication. It can be safely ignored.

I'll look at the sshfs stuff when I get to a computer. I suspect when your multiple sessions were cleared your sshfs processes were also killed off, leaving the server in a state where it will report "transport endpoint is not connected" for those directories.
by scott » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:18 pm
scott wrote:Hi,

The message about incomplete authentication is a by product of supporting Google two-factor authentication. It can be safely ignored.

I'll look at the sshfs stuff when I get to a computer. I suspect when your multiple sessions were cleared your sshfs processes were also killed off, leaving the server in a state where it will report "transport endpoint is not connected" for those directories.
You should be good to go now, anatola2. :)

-Scott
by anatola2 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:43 am
Thanks muchly, Scott. ♫
by anatola2 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:13 am
Logged in fine last night, Started a screen session with several mutt windows. Did stuff, but had to go. I disconnected by closing the Putty window (F4-Alt - a habit). Is it important now to use exit or create an alias for "exit"? Never mattered before.... because today I'm having the same login problem behavior from Putty.

Just tried logging in 2x, and the Putty window closes after I enter my passphrase again.
It acknowledges the correct passphrase with that familiar 'further authentication required' then POOF -- puTTY is gone.

=8-<
by scott » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:53 pm
anatola2 wrote:Logged in fine last night, Started a screen session with several mutt windows. Did stuff, but had to go. I disconnected by closing the Putty window (F4-Alt - a habit). Is it important now to use exit or create an alias for "exit"? Never mattered before.... because today I'm having the same login problem behavior from Putty.

Just tried logging in 2x, and the Putty window closes after I enter my passphrase again.
It acknowledges the correct passphrase with that familiar 'further authentication required' then POOF -- puTTY is gone.

=8-<
There was a maximum of 8 simultaneous sessions allowed. I didn't realize that included screen sessions.

I've increased the number to 16. You should be able to log in now and connect to your screen session. Remember to keep the session down down. :)

=Scott
by yronwode » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:06 am
I don't know if this is related, Patty said i should post to this thread also; sh.sonic.net shell contents disappeared as of this morning, not sure why.
by patty1 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:34 am
Hi, yronwode. I was talking about this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6671

The MOTD asked people to post to that new thread about the shell server transition.
by anatola2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:37 pm
My most recent graymail isn't accessible in Mutt.

There's an @gray symbolic folder visible within mutt's listed folders. Normally clicking on that (in Old shell) gives my most recent spam and false positives. But I haven't had any spam at all for a week, and that doesn't seem right. I'm not saying I miss spam. ;) (other spam folders that had routing errors from years and months past are there, I thank you for that.)

Just need access to the usual daily spam folder.
TIA!
19 posts Page 1 of 2