Bolt shutdown imminent

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
19 posts Page 2 of 2
by anatola2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 pm
My gray mail folder on Mutt is not accessible. (again)
Please restore my access. Thanks.
by anatola2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:52 pm
1. I'm still not getting access to Graymail/Spam on my shell account.

2. Email that is whitelisted on spamassassin are not going into my INBOX.

3. Since I don't have shell access to the spam folder. I've used the sonic.net web-based access for white listing and releasing mail to go to my inbox. https://members.sonic.net/email/graymail/
Lately, unsurprisingly... this effort does not result in wanted mail showing up.

I've loved my shell account since soon after the start of Y2K.
The move to the new shell has created many new issues I've never had in any shell account since netcom.com and jps.net died..

Please fix these problems. :|

Thank you,
by scott » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:32 am
anatola2 wrote:1. I'm still not getting access to Graymail/Spam on my shell account.

2. Email that is whitelisted on spamassassin are not going into my INBOX.

3. Since I don't have shell access to the spam folder. I've used the sonic.net web-based access for white listing and releasing mail to go to my inbox. https://members.sonic.net/email/graymail/
Lately, unsurprisingly... this effort does not result in wanted mail showing up.

I've loved my shell account since soon after the start of Y2K.
The move to the new shell has created many new issues I've never had in any shell account since netcom.com and jps.net died..

Thank you,
Will take a good look at this later on today.

Sorry about the trouble, I thought I'd had your account configured to work as you wanted it too...

-Scott
by scott » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:58 am
anatola2 wrote:My most recent graymail isn't accessible in Mutt.

There's an @gray symbolic folder visible within mutt's listed folders. Normally clicking on that (in Old shell) gives my most recent spam and false positives. But I haven't had any spam at all for a week, and that doesn't seem right. I'm not saying I miss spam. ;) (other spam folders that had routing errors from years and months past are there, I thank you for that.)

Just need access to the usual daily spam folder.
TIA!
Look in the folder "newgray". Please let me know if that doesn't have all the graymail you expect.

-Scott
by scott » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:32 am
anatola2 wrote: 3. Since I don't have shell access to the spam folder. I've used the sonic.net web-based access for white listing and releasing mail to go to my inbox. https://members.sonic.net/email/graymail/
If I understand what you want to do correctly, you'll have to use mutt to move whitelisted email out of your graymail with the current setup. Hopefully that isn't too much trouble, now that the graymail has been found. :)
anatola2 wrote: I've loved my shell account since soon after the start of Y2K.

Thank you,
Hopefully you will love your shell account again. I know it's been a rough road, but we have ended up with a much better security posture with our new shell server.

( There's still work to be done, especially with alpine. :/ )

-Scott
by anatola2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:57 pm
Thanks for your attention. :) I haven't touched Alpine... :/

Back in Mutt...
Still, the gray mail that shows up in the mutt mail folder now, still does not correspond in any significant way to what is in my Web based sonic graymail folder at https://members.sonic.net/email/graymail/index.php

Newgray in mutt is totally different, Has some lost emails stretching all the way back to 2012, including from whitelisted senders who ended up in trapped mail. (I have no idea what is going on there)

What I've started doing is since I now have two completely different Inboxes for my primary account starting last week, when I manually whitelist a message in Webmail spamtrap by putting a check into the icon for "Deliver to Inbox and whitelist" --- those messages never appear in MUTT upon sending.

They DO however appear in my Webmail inbox and disappear from trapped mail.

So I have started forwarding these webmails to my Sonic Muttmail folder --by forwarding the whitelisted messagee to myself. and that works to get my mail into Mutt on the shell.
Aside from IMap and shell tweaking... I have no other idea why my account is so schizophrenic. :(

I love shell mail when it works.

A month ago while waiting for action on my graymail issues, I noticed that Mutt ceased to allow me to add attachments to threaded responses (at the command line "^A" always worked in Old shell for any type and multiple attachments).
However, now in new shell if I had to send PDFs I had to send them by spawning a new thread with the following command line > mutt <recipient> -s "<subject>"-a <pdf-or other attachment> :o :roll: :!: :?: Of course I could grab the appropriate header snippet to hack my way back into the original thread. But that's not a long term solution...

Today, I have a new malfunction,

When I choose any mail in the Muttmail to reply to... this is what appears in the status bar, note the very last line where the response is below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-*-Mutt: =INBOX [Msgs:2036 New:2034 Flag:16 Post:2 85M]---(threads/date)-------------------------------------------------------(86%)---
Include message in reply? ([yes]/no):

If I hit enter for the default (yes) above, or if I type 'y' (without quotes) mutt now responds with abort:

-*-Mutt: =INBOX [Msgs:2036 New:2034 Flag:16 Post:2 85M]---(threads/date)-------------------------------------------------------(86%)---
Aborted unmodified message.

My unstarted response is immediately aborted.

I use jpico as my editor. Jpico does allow me to edit and create text files such as non-email messages.

Any idea what is aborting my email responses?

----There are other problems... (sigh)--- but looking forward to the fixes.

Thanks for all your help. :)
by anatola2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:50 pm
Hi, it's been yet another month and I'm still paying for monthly service for a mutt mail on the shell service I've still been unable to use as bolt was disabled.

Please fix the problems which are mentioned in my previous message on this thread. :(

Posting the same problem on multiple threads is not appreciated on any forums thank you.
by scott » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:59 pm
anatola2 wrote:Hi, it's been yet another month and I'm still paying for monthly service for a mutt mail on the shell service I've still been unable to use as bolt was disabled.

Please fix the problems which are mentioned in my previous message on this thread. :(

Posting the same problem on multiple threads is not appreciated on any forums thank you.
Hi,

You had this set in your .muttrc:

set editor = "jpico --help -rmargin 066"

That isn't going to work, "--help" tells jpico to print out its usage and exit.

I took the liberty of taking out that "--help" and testing mutt -- now it works. :)

(I need to write up another post explaining the flow of your email, because the .procmailrc-first is redirecting some things.)

-Scott
by anatola2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:30 pm
Scott, thanks. Odd on the double hyphenated help in the command line.

When I first got the sonic shell mail account shortly after Y2K, I was really annoyed at the help menu popping up at the start of each session, so I took the advice of some sample .muttrc(s) of the time which used the double negative (--help) which turned help message OFF at the start of each mail jpico setting. and the setting always worked on bolt -- I had no clue the behavior would change. Thanks for catching that.

As to .procmailrc-first, I can't remember exactly when it was after Y2K, there recommendations to use that were intended to filter the mail before spamassassin took a shot at the incoming mail. Now as I understand you, behaviors certainly have changed extensively. Moreover, I don't understand that only certain whitelisted folks were going to spam, without spamassassin adding it's typical detailed headers. Mail with normal headers were in the Graymail box, or going to folders that were inaccessible to me.

Thank you, It seems that using a scrubbed .procmailrc may be in order and if -first is still needed, a rewrite.
19 posts Page 2 of 2