Shell server redux

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
46 posts Page 5 of 5
by scott » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:42 am
mball wrote:
scott wrote:Have noticed some folks still using the old shell server, which we would like to shut down asap.

Is there something we've missed on the new shell server?

-Scott
As of Sunday, the dial-in feature of using "mball.shell" to get a tty connection to the shell server instead of ppp still connects to the old server.
I didn't realize people were still using that feature...

But I don't see how it could have worked over the past few months: we don't allow telnet or rsh connections anymore, just ssh.

-Scott
by scott » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:55 am
scott wrote:
mball wrote:
scott wrote:Have noticed some folks still using the old shell server, which we would like to shut down asap.

Is there something we've missed on the new shell server?

-Scott
As of Sunday, the dial-in feature of using "mball.shell" to get a tty connection to the shell server instead of ppp still connects to the old server.
I didn't realize people were still using that feature...

But I don't see how it could have worked over the past few months: we don't allow telnet or rsh connections anymore, just ssh.

-Scott
BTW, I'm asking around about this -- if the dialup equipment supports ssh, this is the first I've heard of it.

-Scott
by mball » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:08 pm
scott wrote:But I don't see how it could have worked over the past few months: we don't allow telnet or rsh connections anymore, just ssh.
Apparently it's rlogin since in.rlogind is the shell's parent.
I guess a good way to kill a feature is pointing out that it exists.
by scott » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:36 pm
mball wrote:
scott wrote:But I don't see how it could have worked over the past few months: we don't allow telnet or rsh connections anymore, just ssh.
Ah, found it -- in.rlogind was being spawned by xinetd.

Will see what I can do to make this work. Wondering if the RAS's support ssh, will see.

-Scott
by scott » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:10 pm
mball wrote:
Edit:

Thought I had it working, realized I need to commune with it a bit more to get it to use the proper chroot environment.

-Scott
by casner » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:25 am
When I start emacs, I get five instances of this error message:

(emacs:6542): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/run/user/115739/dconf': Permission denied. dconf will not work properly.

Steve
46 posts Page 5 of 5