Shell server redux

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
46 posts Page 2 of 5
by jaw » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:24 pm
Hi Drew,

Thanks for your response! While you were posting this, I was on the phone with a guy in support who helped me with the key fingerprint strings, and I was able to log on using putty. (The guy was very helpful, considering that he's not trained in shell configurations!)

Not all the instructions on the Shell Access 2018 Transition page were clear - I didn't realize that I should only copy the part of the string after "MD5:" and ":SHA256:", so I kept getting "invalid format" errors. So someone might want to update that page to make it clearer.

I still can't access my email, because I don't know how/where to get it using IMAP. What I need are very specific instructions for setting that up, or a pointer to a tutorial or documentation that has those instructions. I use the shell, but I'm not a sys admin, just a lowly user. :) So if you know what I need to do to get my email using IMAP, could you spell that out, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
J. Wermont
by scott » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:37 am
jaw wrote:Hi Drew,

Thanks for your response! While you were posting this, I was on the phone with a guy in support who helped me with the key fingerprint strings, and I was able to log on using putty. (The guy was very helpful, considering that he's not trained in shell configurations!)

Not all the instructions on the Shell Access 2018 Transition page were clear - I didn't realize that I should only copy the part of the string after "MD5:" and ":SHA256:", so I kept getting "invalid format" errors. So someone might want to update that page to make it clearer.

I still can't access my email, because I don't know how/where to get it using IMAP. What I need are very specific instructions for setting that up, or a pointer to a tutorial or documentation that has those instructions. I use the shell, but I'm not a sys admin, just a lowly user. :) So if you know what I need to do to get my email using IMAP, could you spell that out, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
J. Wermont
If you use pine, use the command "alpine_help.sh" on the new shell server to see instructions for setting up imap. If you use mutt, please try "mutt_help.sh".

Hope that helps. :)

-Scott
by scott » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:37 am
jaw wrote:Hi Drew,

Thanks!
J. Wermont
If you use pine, use the command "alpine_help.sh" on the new shell server to see instructions for setting up imap. If you use mutt, please try "mutt_help.sh".

Hope that helps. :)

-Scott
by scott » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:36 am
Okay, here's the plan.

Bolt will stop accepting most connections later on today. It will still be reachable from sh.sonic.net to help facilitate transition.

Bolt will be shut down Monday, 7/23/2018.
by dlou » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:58 pm
On bolt, you could set the 'mail' shell variable in tcsh to check for new mail periodically and print "You have new mail". Is there similar functionality on the new shell machine?
by pescado » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 pm
Hey Scott,

Any word on IPv6 support for sh.sonic.net? Still can't connect to any Internet hosts via IPv6 from sh.sonic.net. See below:

$ ping6 2001:840:0:1000:1::1
connect: Network is unreachable

$ ping6 2001:4860:4860::8844

We had IPv6 support previously on bolt.sonic.net. Any chance this can be enabled for sh before bolt is decommissioned? :-)

Cheers,
by scott » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:38 am
pescado wrote:Hey Scott,

Any word on IPv6 support for sh.sonic.net? Still can't connect to any Internet hosts via IPv6 from sh.sonic.net. See below:

We had IPv6 support previously on bolt.sonic.net. Any chance this can be enabled for sh before bolt is decommissioned? :-)

Cheers,
Hi,

I moved Bolt's ipv6 tunnel over to sh.sonic.net. Please let me know how it works. :)

-Scott
by scott » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 am
dlou wrote:On bolt, you could set the 'mail' shell variable in tcsh to check for new mail periodically and print "You have new mail". Is there similar functionality on the new shell machine?
The mail spools aren't mounted on the new shell server for security purposes. So there's nothing that the mail variable could be set to immediately for the new mail notification.

Naturally, though, you could use procmail to deliver a copy of your mail to a mailbox beneath your home directory, which your mail variable could be set to point to. Don't forget to zero out the mailbox occasionally, because if you're just dropping all your mail into another mailbox, it can get big pretty fast.

-Scott
by scott » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:57 pm
Video pointed out by my friend Chris, thought I'd share it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGhcZtUw-tE

Terminal color scheme and mutt email!

-Scott
by pescado » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:53 pm
scott wrote:
pescado wrote:Hey Scott,

Cheers,
Hi,

I moved Bolt's ipv6 tunnel over to sh.sonic.net. Please let me know how it works. :)

-Scott
Scott,

Meant to respond sooner, works like a charm and kudos for the rapid turnaround!
46 posts Page 2 of 5