No way to cancel fax

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by Guest » Thu May 24, 2012 10:23 am
When sending a fax I made an error and typed in the recipient's phone number instead of the fax number. I found no way to cancel the fax being sent and the labs system just continued to retry sending the fax. The fax was being sent to an office and now I probably need to buy the receptionist lunch. Can you add a "cancel fax" button please?
by dane » Thu May 24, 2012 9:19 pm
This is a good idea!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by barbara » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:45 am
I sent a fax to my brother. My fax history shows No Answer/No Carrier but in fact he has received it and keeps receiving it over and over. He had to disconnect his fax machine to stop it. I am afraid of what's going to happen when he plugs his machine back in again. HELP!
by kgc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 pm
Barbara, you should have already received a failed fax notice for these - at that point, it stopped trying to send it. Basically what is happening here is that the remote fax machine is hanging up on our server before our server receives confirmation from the remote machine that the fax was received successfully. So, it waits a bit and tries again. I don't recall off the top of my head how many times it retries but it does try fairly hard to deliver the fax.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by jstrawn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:19 pm
I'm with the above poster. I also caused a fax to be sent to the wrong number
and couldn't stop it.

The following would help:

1) the ability to stop retrying a current fax.
2) the ability to set how many times to retry.

"Trying hard" is sometimes too hard!

Thank you.
by docorbit » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:56 am
Ouch! I too accidentally put in the phone number and not the fax number. Fortunately, in the time it took for me to find this post, reply, then check the fax status again, it appears to have failed on its own. Thank you for making it less aggressive than the previous comments made it appear. (Still, it was nerve-wracking until that happened.) :oops:
by lemonatty » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:21 pm
dane wrote:This is a good idea!
So, four years later, can we cancel a fax?
by raillard » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:06 pm
I use the Sonic.net Lab's Send A Fax and FaxLine feature to test my clients' fax machines when helping to set them up (some people and industries still use them!)

I would love to be able to send a fax and have it try just once. Could "number of attempts" be added to the outgoing settings? A "Cancel" button would also be welcome, by me, and everyone writing in this thread, including the co-founder of Sonic! I know it's technically a lab feature, and not officially supported, but please add these very basic controls, if at all possible. Thank you for your time, and considering this request.
by mpd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:14 am
Help!

I typed in the wrong Fax number and it is probably retrying so many times it is annoying someone to death on the other end. Why isn't there a button or an easy way to cancel the fax altogether instead of retrying over and over? If someone found a way please let me know!

Thanks!
by drew.phillips » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:13 am
We've started discussing the ability to cancel faxes that are in queue from the member tool. There are a few things ahead of it on the list but I expect we'll begin work on this in the next couple of weeks and hopefully have something out not too long after.

We appreciate the feedback.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
12 posts Page 1 of 2